We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PETPLAN CO PAYMENT??

Options
Wonder if anyone else has seen this. My older cat is 10 and has been insured with pet plan for 3 years - no claims. Just got a renewal which has gone up but in the ts and c's it says in 2022, I've to pay a 20% contribution for any claims. Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 3 November 2021 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Yes this is standard with older pets, most insurers but not all, do the same.

I see you state no claims but if thinking of moving to an insurer which doesn't have co pays, be aware that anything you've discussed with Vet will count as pre existing and not be covered.
    Even if you've not claimed for it or ended up needing treatment.

Also Pet Plan is definitely the best insurer. 
  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 November 2021 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Thanks KxMx. I read online that some insurers do but couldn't see anywhere where it says Petplan do this. Do you know if Petplan is one of the insurers that do this co-payment thing with all pets? He's never been to vet other than yearly vaccinations but does have an innocent heart murmur, which I've noted with Petplan who say that'll not be covered.
  • PoGee
    Options
    Just checked online again and see it is in their t'c and c's.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some insurers add in the co payment at an earlier age than Petplan.

Cats  usually have a later date than dogs.

Petplan do not discriminate between animals who have had a claim and those who haven't.  You don't pay any more for an animal that has claims to one that has no claims.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2021 at 7:41AM
    Options
    We are with petplan and yes they have also toldus this on our renewal this month too.  Our dog is 11 and they now say our excess is £120 plus the 20% and our monthly fee has gone up to £65 per month 😱😱😱.  No way are we paying this so we have cancelled.  Our policy was they would pay upto £7000 per year so we have this in our savings put by now if sheneeds any treatment…..its a bit of a gamble but when she had a tooth out last year they refused to pay as they said we delayed the treatment which wasnt true….at a previous visit the vet had put on their records that our dog would need future dental care but petplan took this as us ignoring the vets advise😱😱😱even though when the vet told us we should book her in for the tooth out we did so straight away.
    so basically with the rise in costs we thought we had had enough of petplan
  • PoGee
    Options
    Thanks kippers, I think I'll do the same by putting money away. I don't know if there's such a thing as accident only cover- do you know?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PoGee said:
    Thanks kippers, I think I'll do the same by putting money away. I don't know if there's such a thing as accident only cover- do you know?
    I think Dogs Trust offer accident only. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family