🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Door knob grief

Options
Hi all

Feel like I'm doing stupid here, but could do with some advice. Bought a set on non-sprung knobs and heavy duty tubular latches to put on our existing doors and some reclaimed doors we purchased and got hung. Have been trying to put them on with mixed success. Every single one has had to be left with the screws not fully tightened to allow the latch to spring back, if I fully tighten them then the latch needs you to manually turn it again to make the latch spring out.

It's happened on all four doors and the hardware seems to have decent reviews on that site so I assume I am doing something wrong. They work like a dream when I attach one knob, then as soon as I attach the other side it starts catching. I have loosened some of them and they then start working - but they rattle ever so slightly when you grab them and I'm mindful it might just work the screws out?

On the last one I can't attach the other knob at all, not even screwing the screws halfway in - it just immediately catches again.

I've taken the latches out, used a sharpened chisel to widen the mortice, tried spraying with wd40, tried moving the screw holes around and re drilling pilots to allow for alignment errors.

When I've googled some pages suggest it's a binding issue with the spindle, but I feel like what I've tried above should sort it. Am new to DIY but am confused how I could get it wrong four times!!

Any suggestions for what I could be doing wrong. Is it really that difficult to put a tubular latch in?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/altro-lined-mortice-door-knob-antique-brass-817237

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/altro-heavy-duty-tubular-latch-78mm-case-57mm-backset-florentine-bronze-148932

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the spindle not too long ? check the length .
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • joe90mitch
    Options
    Ganga said:
    Dare I ask a potentially simple question - how would I check? It's the one provided with the knobs, but I guess if the doors are thin that could factor in?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We used our old spindles on the new handles, if that helps.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ganga said:
    Dare I ask a potentially simple question - how would I check? It's the one provided with the knobs, but I guess if the doors are thin that could factor in?
    Take one knob off. Mark the exposed spindle where it disappears into the door. Pull the spindle out and feed it into the knob you took off. Can you still see the mark?
  • Oldernowiser
    Options
    is there a raised centre on the knob where the spindle passes through ?  I'm guessing this is the case due to you saying it works if the assembly is loosened. if so, make the diameter of the hole in the door larger to accommodate the 'proud' bit.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    is there a raised centre on the knob where the spindle passes through ?  I'm guessing this is the case due to you saying it works if the assembly is loosened. if so, make the diameter of the hole in the door larger to accommodate the 'proud' bit.
    That does annoy me when fitting new handles; why don't the instructions state a small counterbore is needed?  It is so much easier to do it before you drill the main hole, although I have overcome it by whacking a temporary filler in the hole to give something for the counterbore drill to bite into.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure