Free postage query?

Options
Morning all.

I recently purchased a pair of shoes online. The postage to me was free. I didn't like them and sent them back at my own expense but when they refunded, they took off the postage on the grounds that it's only free if you keep the item. This is apparently in the small print in their Ts & Cs.

Can they do this? Can they offer different terms to the distance selling regs and refund less than the cost of the item?

Thanks all

Chris

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

I recently purchased a pair of shoes online. The postage to me was free. I didn't like them and sent them back at my own expense but when they refunded, they took off the postage on the grounds that it's only free if you keep the item. This is apparently in the small print in their Ts & Cs.

Can they do this? Can they offer different terms to the distance selling regs and refund less than the cost of the item?

Thanks all

Chris

Under UK law as long as you follow the requirements for a change of mind return then the full price initially paid must be refunded, buyer only pays for return postage. (that's all a bit oversimlified but covers the basics)

Where did you buy and how did you pay?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • marvinmolar
    Options
    Thanks for the swift reply. Bought from Stuarts of London, paid on credit card. Always pay on CC for purchases over £100.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback