🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Composite vs UPVC windows and doors (in the Scottish Highlands)

Options
Hi, I live on the west coast of Scotland and have currently got 20 year old timber framed double glazed windows and doors, which are on their way out. What would you recommend for replacing them with? I'm after a fairly high quality, low maintenance replacement. 

Comments

• Bendy_House
    Bendy_House Posts: 4,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Ken.
    I don't know.
    But if you'd like to post a photo of the whole house front, there are folks on here with a good feel and knowledge of 'design' and who might be able to point in a direction that includes 'aesthetics'. This might then even help determine the choice of material.
  • koalakoala
    Options
    I've seen these windows on another post !  Try Bridgeview Joinery, a Scottish company who usually blow the big guys out of the water on price
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    it will also depend upon your budget what you choose.
  • Ken2000
    Ken2000 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Ken.
    I don't know.
    But if you'd like to post a photo of the whole house front, there are folks on here with a good feel and knowledge of 'design' and who might be able to point in a direction that includes 'aesthetics'. This might then even help determine the choice of material.
    Thanks, here are a couple of photos of the house, one taken of the front, one of the rear. 
  • Bendy_House
    Options
    That is soooo West-coast Scottish :-)

I walked past this hoosie this afa - white-painted render (you'd have to use a high-quality paint like epoxy for longevity...) and anthracite aluminium windows. Not dissimilar brickwork to yours too.
    (I presume granite chippings can be painted successfully?)
    Ali certainly should solve the weathering issue, but it would obviously be a departure in overall house style.
    Just there as an example. I'm hoping others, with a more intrinsic sense of design, will offer other ideas.

• greenface2
    Options
    No harm in sticking with rosewood if you want to stay with coloured frames on that bungalow . Nice property btw . Greys or black can be another option  if going dark . Light greys or creams are more options . UPVC is cheaper than aluminium . Thermally both similar if both are casement . flush fit slightly less (esp. UPVC ) could think about triple glazed . could think about losing the stone cill and bricking up . A well fitted job and insulating back up before rendering / dashing will improve your home greatly compared to what you currently have now . With a nice door too
  • Bendy_House
    Options
    uPVC is a perfectly good and long-lasting alternative to Ali. The most significant difference between them will the width of the window frames, Ali being slimmer. From my experience, Ali also just 'feels' better in use, I think - firmer, less flex, more 'positive' in operation, but that's not a biggie; decent PVC works perfectly well too, of course. PVC will be cheaper, yes, but perhaps not as much as you think. 
    On the WC of Scotland, I'd personally be going for PVC or Ali, and not timber in any form - unless there was a very good reason not to (ie preferred aesthetics).
    Fit and forget.
  • greenface2
    Options
    I made a simple comparison on Friday . Anthricite UPVC inc glass in a big new single dwelling and garage fitted £17k , Anthricite aluminium £33k ( glass is £ almost 8k on both ) so frames and fitting Upvc £9k Alli £25k . They chose Alli and added a 8k door onto it . alli is almost triple the price of my Upvc supplier
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    That is soooo West-coast Scottish :-)

I walked past this hoosie this afa - white-painted render (you'd have to use a high-quality paint like epoxy for longevity...) and anthracite aluminium windows. Not dissimilar brickwork to yours too.
    (I presume granite chippings can be painted successfully?)
    Ali certainly should solve the weathering issue, but it would obviously be a departure in overall house style.
    Just there as an example. I'm hoping others, with a more intrinsic sense of design, will offer other ideas.

Either this is a dodgy camera angle, or this property has serious structural problems.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Bendy_House
    Options
    I made a simple comparison on Friday . Anthricite UPVC inc glass in a big new single dwelling and garage fitted £17k , Anthricite aluminium £33k ( glass is £ almost 8k on both ) so frames and fitting Upvc £9k Alli £25k . They chose Alli and added a 8k door onto it . alli is almost triple the price of my Upvc supplier

Yikes! I didn't realise.
    We obviously got a very good deal on Ali a year ago, then. :smile:
    Thanks Greenface.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills