Shares held in mothers name

Options
Hi all.

I currently have some shares in a company that were given to me as a child, at the time they were held in my mother's name.  The name on the certificate is 'Mother's full name + My initials + A/C'.  From what I gather this was due to my age at the time, not being legally able to hold shares.  I'm now well past the point of being of age and have my mother's agreement that the shares should be mines.

The thing is, I've not got a clue how to do this.  I've had a search online and at the shares administrators website, but either it's unheard of, or I'm just using the wrong terms to find what I'm looking for.  Ideally, looking for a simple way to do it that won't cost, but from what I've seen, which may not be right, there is not a simple way that won't cost.

I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction? 

Thanks, Kris

Comments

• lozzy1965
    lozzy1965 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What's the name of the company?  Is it held on the London Stock Exchange?  May have gone into liquidation or changed name.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    I think what you need is a Stock Transfer Form, something like THIS.
  • KGtips
    Options
    lozzy1965 said:
    What's the name of the company?  Is it held on the London Stock Exchange?  May have gone into liquidation or changed name.
    Was ScottishPower, then changed hands to Iberdrola, S.A. I still have the paper certificate from a few years ago.  
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 October 2021 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Hi,
    it seems that Equiniti Shareview are registrars, have a look HERE, scroll down to Shareholder Guides/Shares.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2021 at 3:47PM
    Options
    A new share certificate would have been issued following the takeover.  Though SP shareholders were able to elect to sell their new Iberdrola shares if they so wished immediately as part of the offer.

Old share certificates have no value other than to collectors. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback