Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Suttons Seeds Amazing Offers!...or just a scam?

I fell for one of Suttons Seeds amazing offers - 72 Stunning Perennials JUST £4.99 Plus Postage! reduced from £59.98

•  Order placed 7 September. Confirmation stated payment had been taken and the order would be despatched within 24 hours - IT WASN'T!
  • email received 13 September advising me there was a delay and order would be despatched on 1 October - IT WASN'T!
  • Chased up Suttons on 13 October and told order would be with me in 7 - 10 days - IT WASN'T
  • Chased up Suttons on 26 October and told that the plants are NOW ready to be despatched, but they won't be able to manage to despatch them for 7 days (why?).
It has, so far, taken over 7 weeks to fail to fulfil an order for plug plants that Suttons claimed were immediately available. I would have been able to raise plug plants from seed in this time - but apparently Suttons can't.

I sent an email cancelling my order and got an immediate confirmation - stating that I would get a full refund in 7 WORKING days, which probably means 8 November at the earliest, but judging by their lies to date I doubt that will happen.

I am annoyed at the failure of Suttons to supply the plants I ordered, but having seen the reviews on here and on Trustpilot,  this appears to be a regular occurence, and I can't understand how a supplier can so often fail to supply the goods that have been ordered.

It strikes me that this could well be a scam - Suttons send marketing emails offering amazing limited time offers (I get their emails all the time). The customer places an order and the payment is taken immediately. There then follows a long period where delivery of the goods are promised, but never arrive.

Eventually, the customer gets frustrated and asks for a refund, which Suttons happily agree to.

The result is that Suttons effectively get an interest free loan for as long as the customer has been kept waiting (in my case 2 months).

Anyone else experienced this?

Replies