IGT and smart meters

Options
underwhelmed_saver
underwhelmed_saver Posts: 41 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 October 2021 at 9:53PM in Energy
Recently moved into a new build property and noticed that British Gas (my supplier) only seem to recognise my electricity meter as smart, but I still have to give manual readings for the gas one. I never got given an "IHD" either.

I'm pretty sure the gas one is also a smart meter, it says SMETS2 on it, has a digital display etc. Model is Landis+Gyr G470 SMETS2

After speaking to their live chat they told me that because my properties gas infrastructure is owned by an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT), this does not work with smart meters and they don't know if they ever will.

Which didn't really make sense to me, if the IGT doesn't support smart meters, why install a SMETS2 meter in the first place, and not your bog standard one with dials?

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Complete tosh. IGTs are not suppliers. My new build had gas installed by an IGT but the appointed supplier was Scottish Power for both gas and electricity. It may be that your gas meter needs to be paired with the comms hub. BG should arrange for this to be done. Check the LEDs on your comms hub.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As suggested, take a look at the comms hub which will be fitted to the top of the electricity meter.
    There will be a few lights on there, one of which is labelled 'Gas' check and see it it is flashing every few seconds or if it remains off.
    If it is off then the gas meter is not communicating with it, if it is flashing then it is.
    How far away from the gas meter is the electricity meter?  .. any walls in-between?
  • underwhelmed_saver
    Options
    Just checked the comms hub on top of the eletric meter - the LED for the Gas does not appear to flash when all of the others do.

Both meters are at the front of the house (outside) but in separate boxes, maybe 2-3 metres apart.

I managed to persuade BG to send someone out regarding the lack of IHD, so will ask the engineer then to look at the gas meter and see if it should be paired :)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 April 2022 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Glad to know you got it sorted out, even if it did take four months!
    And thank you for coming back to this thread to let us know.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It is worth storing away for future reference that the designated supplier becomes responsible for a smart meter - irrespective of who installed it. I suspect that as many developers use a DNO to install electricity meters and an IGT to install gas meters (probably on different days) that this problem is pretty common.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback