Private Medical Insurance?

Options
Hi,
Is this worth it? I am contemplating it, what are the best options?
The delays with NHS and waiting lists are making me seriously consider moving all my medical to private and paying £50-75 a month for it?
Any advice appreciated....

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    PMI does not cover pre existing illness. Best to get it when your healthy and you can afford it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    csgohan4 said:
    PMI does not cover pre existing illness. Best to get it when your healthy and you can afford it
    It is difficult to get PMI to cover pre-existing conditions if you are buying it personally... employers PMI does more commonly cover pre-existing conditions. If you transfer from corporate to private sometimes you can convince them to continue cover for the pre-existing condition (as I did). 

As to advice... shop around and understand the difference in policies not just prices. Remember that PMI premiums are reviewed each year so as you get older and more likely to claim the premiums will continue to rise.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    csgohan4 said:
    It is difficult to get PMI to cover pre-existing conditions if you are buying it personally... employers PMI does more commonly cover pre-existing conditions. If you transfer from corporate to private sometimes you can convince them to continue cover for the pre-existing condition (as I did). 

As to advice... shop around and understand the difference in policies not just prices. Remember that PMI premiums are reviewed each year so as you get older and more likely to claim the premiums will continue to rise.
    Correct, I was alluding to personal policies rather than corporate
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • IAMIAM
    IAMIAM Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    Options
    I have no prexisting issues, I am just getting annoyed at delays at gp, walk in centres etc. Anyone recommend any brands? I thought I could get a fixed premium for life?
  • Sandtree
    Options
    IAMIAM said:
    I have no prexisting issues, I am just getting annoyed at delays at gp, walk in centres etc. Anyone recommend any brands? I thought I could get a fixed premium for life?
    The UK isnt fully setup for PMI compared to other countries like the USA. Almost none will cover GP services and for most conditions you will need a referral from a GP (or another doctor) to be able to start a claim, there are some conditions that you can self refer on though.

They similarly don't provide A&E or critical care services and so if you are involved in an RTA or have a heart attack you'd be taken to a NHS hospital who'd treat/stablise you and you can then be transferred to a private hospital (or wing as many NHS sites have private hospital facilities) and the rest of your inpatient care and follow up surgeries etc will happen there.

PMI is an annual policy, premiums are reviewed each year based on your claims experience, age, location and general cost inflation. Only corporate schemes can offer almost flat rates other than cost inflation but they naturally end when you retire which is when prices increase most because of age anyway.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    IAMIAM said:
    The UK isnt fully setup for PMI compared to other countries like the USA. Almost none will cover GP services and for most conditions you will need a referral from a GP (or another doctor) to be able to start a claim, there are some conditions that you can self refer on though.

They similarly don't provide A&E or critical care services and so if you are involved in an RTA or have a heart attack you'd be taken to a NHS hospital who'd treat/stablise you and you can then be transferred to a private hospital (or wing as many NHS sites have private hospital facilities) and the rest of your inpatient care and follow up surgeries etc will happen there.

PMI is an annual policy, premiums are reviewed each year based on your claims experience, age, location and general cost inflation. Only corporate schemes can offer almost flat rates other than cost inflation but they naturally end when you retire which is when prices increase most because of age anyway.
    Some private hospitals offer a GP service for around £100 for a half hour appointment. Obviously any blood tests etc and prescriptions are also chargeable. Maybe budget for paying for two or three of these a year in addition to your insurance if you want to avoid the NHS?

In the town where I live a small group of GPs also offer a private clinic at around £80 per 20 mins.

I am not aware of any insurance that will cover the initial GP consultation but if they feel something urgent need looking at it will get the ball rolling.

• csgohan4
    Options
    Some providers do GP access remotely so you can get referrals without seeing a NHS GP

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Sandtree
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    IAMIAM said:

Some private hospitals offer a GP service for around £100 for a half hour appointment. Obviously any blood tests etc and prescriptions are also chargeable. Maybe budget for paying for two or three of these a year in addition to your insurance if you want to avoid the NHS?

In the town where I live a small group of GPs also offer a private clinic at around £80 per 20 mins.

I am not aware of any insurance that will cover the initial GP consultation but if they feel something urgent need looking at it will get the ball rolling.

There are plenty of private GPs but my point was that most PMI doesnt, or at least didnt, cover it... its not like the USA where every doctor you see is covered by your insurance (ignoring deductible etc) if you are lucky enough to have any
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One option is to consider just paying for tests yourself.
    the slow part of the nhs is getting test/scans.
    i recently had an ultrasound it was £190 (about 3-4 months premiums) and I could get it same day.
    if you are diagnosed with something then you can go back to the nhs for the expensive treatment

This might not work as well as it did pre-covid but its one option to consider.

i can say I found it massively better going private.
    mainly for speed but also for getting a convenient appointment e.g. I had an nhs one come up when I was on holiday and then went to the back of the queue.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    One option is to consider just paying for tests yourself.
    the slow part of the nhs is getting test/scans.
    i recently had an ultrasound it was £190 (about 3-4 months premiums) and I could get it same day.
    if you are diagnosed with something then you can go back to the nhs for the expensive treatment

This might not work as well as it did pre-covid but its one option to consider.

i can say I found it massively better going private.
    mainly for speed but also for getting a convenient appointment e.g. I had an nhs one come up when I was on holiday and then went to the back of the queue.
    NHS has it's uses, but I cannot afford to use the NHS long term and hence  why I have PMI. I cannot afford to be out of work for 18 months waiting for a knee/hip replacement. 

NHS is great for cancer care generally

There are private providers who provide their services to the NHS, so if you need a referral, suggest to ask for it if applicable on the electronic referral system. . It is quicker to be seen, whether it's quicker for scans/ intervention I am unsure

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure