PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

"no frills" printer recommendations

Options
anyone have a recommendation for a ( cheapish) printer for home, just to print, doesn't need scanner or copier.
thank you

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps you'd get a better response from the Tech board?

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
     Was half watching The Gadget Show on telly last night and they recommended a printer which is reduced at the moment with 5 months free ink. Sorry can't remember how much.. my5.tv/the-gadget-show
     :
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    anyone have a recommendation for a ( cheapish) printer for home, just to print, doesn't need scanner or copier.
    thank you
    Canon PIXMA MG2550S is £30 on cannon, compatible inks are usually reasonable. I've had a PIXMA and it was reliable. 

Current printer is a brother laser printer, toner goes further thank ink but she's a sizeable machine. I bought it for printing tutoring resources so I needed volume.
  • Otorra
    Options
    I would advise you to just go to a store or website and choose at the price that suits you. They are all the same in their functionality.
  • notional
    Options
    IMHO they are all ripoffs, on the rare occasions I need to print, I email it to the printers round the corner (10p a page), use the wireless print function on the copier in my local corner shop, or print the occasional item at work. For photos I use Snapfish.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 October 2021 at 10:21AM
    Options
    We've been using this service for the last couple of years HP Instant Ink - Ink and Toner Delivery and Recycling | HP® United Kingdom

Picked up a printer for under £30 from John Lewis sale (2yr warranty and 3mths free ink) and it's not cost us more than £2 a month since even with 2 GCSE/A level kids in the house

• room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use HP instant ink too. Best thing we ever joined as they send ink when you need it so you never run out. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not sure cheap printers are cheap in the long run. They get you back buying loads of ink (especially when they run "cleaning cycles").
    Just bough an Epson Eco tank, yield is higher per bottle of ink than a laser toner cartridge at a comparable price, the branded bottle of ink is substantially cheaper than a set of branded laser toners and the Epson comes out the box with full tanks not reduced like Laser. But the initial outlay is high, I expect returns in the long run but not had it long enough to see if the claim is true.

I know some laser firms chip their tanks making it awkward to use after market. Brother seem to have a good laser with a useful after market toner availability and no chips. 

However it comes with a scanner, I don't need one but the whole unit is smaller than my old laser.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2021 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I went for a very basic black-and-white laser printer.  The great benefit with lasers is they don't need the regular head-cleaning cycles that use up ink for inkjet printers.  You just switch it on, wait a minute or so, and then it's ready to go, so ideal for infrequent use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback