Electric underfloor heating vs LPG boiler (radiators) - running cost

Options
Hey,

We've moved into a house (poorly insulated extended cottage) that has electric underfloor heating (downstairs) and LPG gas (not connected to the mains).

It looks like the previous owners, turned down their downstairs radiators and used the underfloor heating, and heated upstairs using the radiators.

Does anyone have any experience of the cost of running electric underfloor heating vs LPG gas?

Thanks

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We need to know the rate of your electricity tariff and how much you pay for lpg per kWh.  Bottled gas or large bulk tank LPG?.  

The number of kWh required to heat any room to a certain temperature will be the same no matter what the energy source is.

https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison/ is not entirely accurate but can give a very, very approximate idea.
    23p / kWh for standard electric
    11p /kWh for bulk LPG
    13p /kWh for bottled propane gas.

So LPG will be very roughly half the cost of electric?

Electric underfloor will be expensive.  It will depend on how well insulated the floor beneath is as to how much heat is lost through the floor and that will make it even more expensive.  There is, however, an argument that if your feet are warm, then the room doesn't need to be as hot ; and that makes UFH more 'comfortable' and so can be more economic as the room temperature is lower?

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As Rodders says, underfloor electric is likely to cost twice as much as LPG for the same amount of heat
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Notts Energy price for LPG is wildly out.

The going rate is between 33 and 37 ppl, so half the price quoted.

That makes LPG currently only marginally dearer than the current Mains Gas price, and certainly hugely cheaper than electricity!

• DailyClicker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm currently paying 15.916p per kWh for electricity & 40p per litres for LPG.

Previously was on mains gas at 2.452p per kWh (but think the price cap is currently 4p per kWh)

If my calculations are right, 1 litre of LPG = 7.08 kWh, which makes it 5.65p per kWh for LPG so nearly 3 times cheaper, than electricity but over double mains gas?

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm currently paying 15.916p per kWh for electricity & 40p per litres for LPG.

Previously was on mains gas at 2.452p per kWh (but think the price cap is currently 4p per kWh)

If my calculations are right, 1 litre of LPG = 7.08 kWh, which makes it 5.65p per kWh for LPG so nearly 3 times cheaper, than electricity but over double mains gas?

If you can find Mains Gas at 2.452p !  :)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mister_G said:
    If you can find Mains Gas at 2.452p !  :)
    Yes, it's more like 4p for most people now, and fixed rates are often 6p plus!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback