A problem with my fridge

Options
I have a Mini fridge which I have had for over ten years and have never had a problem with until now

A few days ago I put some warm rice which I had just cooked in it and since then the fridge will not switch off the motor keeps going non stop hour after hour until I switch it off at the mains

What is the problem ?

Comments

• Outeast1000
    Options
    And I forgot to mention the seals on the door are ok
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the compressor is running all the time there are two possibilities. If the fridge is getting too cold then the thermostat is not turning off at the right temperature - new thermostat needed. If the fridge is not getting too cold then there is a fault with the compressor, a gas leak or blockage somewhere. That's more expensive.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem was the rice should have cooled first.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Grizzlebeard
    Options
    A common problem with fridges is that if inside the fridge gets warmer than the outside then liquid-phase refrigerant accumulates in the wrong part of the system. That's why in the instruction book it says the fridge must be kept in a vertical position for 24 hrs after moving it and before switching it on, and also the fridge may not work when used in a sub zero environment.

The answer is easy. Turn the fridge off, open the door and stand for 24 hrs. It will come back to life by itself.

The hot rice warmed up the inside to a temperature above that of the radiator on the back, breaking the refrigerant condensing cycle.

(I found this out the hard way when I used a hairdryer to defrost the ice box and the same thing happened. I also found the solution by accident when I gave fridge one last try 2 days later and it worked again.)
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Sicard said:
    I didn't believe this until I read @Grizzlebeard 's explanation.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Mini fridge which I have had for over ten years and have never had a problem with until now

A few days ago I put some warm rice which I had just cooked in it and since then the fridge will not switch off the motor keeps going non stop hour after hour until I switch it off at the mains

What is the problem ?
    I would also very carefully consider your intent by saving rice, if you are aiming to eat it later:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

Moneysaving or food poisoning?
  • Grizzlebeard
    Options
    Sicard said:
    I didn't believe this until I read @Grizzlebeard 's explanation.
    Guess it's because we're talking about a minifridge. A full size fridge probably would have coped.

(And take-away rice is already cold before you get it home so no problem there.)
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    BikingBud said:

What is the problem ?
    I would also very carefully consider your intent by saving rice, if you are aiming to eat it later:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

There is the science on this, but in real life reheating cold rice is custom and practice. How long it languishes at RTP is the issue.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BikingBud said:

What is the problem ?

There is the science on this, but in real life reheating cold rice is custom and practice. How long it languishes at RTP is the issue.
    If rice is incorrectly cooled so that bacteria form, they release toxins,when rice is re-heated any bacteria may be killed but toxins will still remain.
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    BikingBud said:

What is the problem ?

So is speeding an driving recklessly ;)

You can led a horse to water etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport