edited 15 November 2021 at 1:54PM in Savings & investments
Removed text

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 October 2021 at 4:14PM
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    Is it safe to have more than 85k with Marcus Bank? 

They have a better rate for instant saving than other banks.  To put it into context, I am happy to have more than 85k with my own bank Natwest, so how would you rate Marcus against Natwest in terms of the risk of them going under and I have to rely on the FSCS?
    You know the limit but if you`re happy to risk losing the excess amount, go ahead.

i don`t know the numbers but I would say Goldman Sachs are a lot bigger than NW.
  • threlkeld53
    Options
    A division of the Goldman Sachs Group. I'd be ok exceeding the FSCS £85k limit . I wouldn't be waking up at 3am worrying if the bank is going under. But then nothing is 100% guaranteed.
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2021 at 4:17PM
    Options
    AskAsk said:

They have a better rate for instant saving than other banks.  To put it into context, I am happy to have more than 85k with my own bank Natwest, so how would you rate Marcus against Natwest in terms of the risk of them going under and I have to rely on the FSCS?
    Short of a major meltdown, then it's safe. But then that's what we had in 2008.
    Or you could open a second savings account with Tesco, also paying 0.60%.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AskAsk said:

Not sure if you're implying that you have two pots of at least £85K but even if it's just one, do you really need so much in cash form, especially easy access?
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There are a number of banks all offering online savings accounts with similar rates at the moment - why not open a couple and remove the risk altogether ? I can't comment on Cynergy or Shawbrook, but I have a Tesco Internet Saver which I've been impressed with so far.

There are a couple of other aspects you might want to pay attention to, depending on the amounts and your circumstances - the upper limits (Shawbrook actually limit to £85k, for example) and daily withdrawal limits (eg. £10k per day for Tesco)
  • grumiofoundation
    Options
    AskAsk said:

It is certainly safer not to exceed 85k.

Cynergy and shawbrook have better instant access rates (according to MSE). I have never used cynergy but had accounts with shawbrook in the past and never had an issue that I can recall.

Premium bonds (max 50k) should also beat 0.6%.* (*with average luck over a decent time period would get ~0.9%).

As mentioned above you seem to be suggesting having significantly more than 85k in instant access accounts which is quite a lot. 

• Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    AskAsk said:

in terms of security, anyone got an opinion of tesco savings as a secure bank?? 
    There is no such thing as a secure bank, or a secure savings provider. What is safe and secure is the £85K FSCS protection, which provides the same security for any FSCS-protected account, regardless of the provider. You can get  protection for higher than £85K at NS&I.

Regarding your original Q: putting £85K into Marcus is just as safe as having £85K in Natwest.
  • Malchester
    Malchester Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 October 2021 at 6:37PM
    Options
    I have accounts with Shawbrook and am really impressed. Also Investec have online flexi saver paying 0.58%. I use them as my main instant access account and they are superb. V speedy deposits and withdrawals. Would recommend them. 
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to say that Cynergy are perfectly good, used them for a few years now and no problems. I would say however that their website is slightly less straightforward that Marcus.
  • Malchester
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    I have accounts with Shawbrook and am really impressed. Also Investec have online flexi saver paying 0.58%. I use them as my main instant access account and they are superb. V speedy deposits and withdrawals. Would recommend them. 
    thanks.  will have a look into them.

update - just looked and it seems that investec is app based only?  it says you need to upload ID to open an account?

shawbrook bank says minimum withdrawal is £500 but it doesn't say what is the maximum daily withdrawal amount?
    Hi. Investec is not just app based - I use it on a laptop. Don't have the app (not sure if they have one for this account. Yes I had to update a photo as ID but was easy to do. The website is

Online savings accounts from Investec | Fixed Rate and Instant Access
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure