🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Child inheritance

Options
My 16 year old child is due to receive an inheritance of £30000 to be held in trust until she's 18. We've been told to research where we want to put this money. I'd be grateful for any advice on options. Thank you. 

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends on what she will want to do with it when she is 18 .
    If she wants it all to spend ( new car , Uni costs; unsuitable boyfriend etc )  then it needs to be kept in a cash savings account ( two year fixed rate ?) as two years is too short for investing it .
    If she is more sensible and wants to keep say £20K for a house deposit in a few years time ( for example ) then you could consider investing that part .

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    rhubarbs said:
    My 16 year old child is due to receive an inheritance of £30000 to be held in trust until she's 18. We've been told to research where we want to put this money. I'd be grateful for any advice on options. Thank you. 
    Assuming you are not in Scotland and that you haven't used any of the child's ISA allowance this year, you could put £9k in to their Junior ISA this FY, and another £9k after April 5th, etc..  For example Coventry BS offer 2.25%.  There are others in/around this rste.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • rhubarbs
    rhubarbs Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cloud_dog said:
    rhubarbs said:
    Assuming you are not in Scotland and that you haven't used any of the child's ISA allowance this year, you could put £9k in to their Junior ISA this FY, and another £9k after April 5th, etc..  For example Coventry BS offer 2.25%.  There are others in/around this rste.
    We're in Scotland. I assume that means this isn't an option? 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    rhubarbs said:
    cloud_dog said:
    rhubarbs said:
    We're in Scotland. I assume that means this isn't an option? 
    In which case she is entitled to her inheritance now. 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In which case she is entitled to her inheritance now. 

But there is nothing to prevent her from choosing to subscribe to a JISA (up to age 18).

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport