Auction ended, buyer still not paid, and I'm thinking of keeping it...

Options
I sold an item on ebay, wasn't sure what to sell it for so put it as auction, this is probably the first auction I've ran in years, I'm used to "buy it now"s.
anyway it didn't go for as much as I'd hoped and the buyer still hasn't paid and it's been 24hrs, I actually sent a payment reminder this morning too. how long do I have to wait before I can cancel the sale without being penalised?
if I cancelled the winning bid would I have to sell to the next highest bidder?

Comments

• There isn't any need to send reminders; eBay already do that.

You have to wait 4 days and cancel the order on the 5th day. You get your fees returned if you were charged any, the non-paying buyer gets a strike on their account and they cannot leave feedback. It is only then safe to offer it to an under-bidder.

(You can't cancel bids once an item has ended)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think they have 3 days in which to pay.

Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    well the buyer never paid, item cancelled yesterday (for the item in question)
    also another auction I had attracted a non paying time wasting bidder, this time I wasn't so keen to cancel as it sold for well above what I thought, but they never paid either so have just cancelled that too.
    How do I make sure these time wasting bidders get a strike, or some sort of reprimand? 
    I don't know if it's just luck but statistically for me 99% of BIN transactions go smoothly, and 100% of auction transactions do not!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,616 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 31 October 2021 at 1:35AM
    Options
    Cancelling the sale after 4 days using buyer has not paid as the reason, automatically marks the buyers account. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/payment-policies/unpaid-item-policy?id=4271

You can block your non paying buyers, and any with excessive non payment strikes in future:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback