PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chain how long

Currently FTB, offer got accepted 21st of July. We were told we would be done by the end of October, but found out recently that the woman that the vendor are buying from, the house she was moving into has fell through and has only started looking at houses and has recently put an offer in. If this offer gets accepted does any one know how long it will take for us to move in? We are so desperate to move out by Christmas, it’s really cramped in my mums and we have a baby.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd say that Xmas is unlikely now, 
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not this year, possibly next.  Can you put pressure on your seller by suggesting you will pay her an amount of money for her sell and move into rented property or threaten to withdraw?
  • comeandgo said:
    Not this year, possibly next.  Can you put pressure on your seller by suggesting you will pay her an amount of money for her sell and move into rented property or threaten to withdraw?
    Our vendor has threatened her with pullung out, I just feel like she’s taking the !!!!!! in a way, and she’s not bothered with how lacked she is about it even though she knows us and the vendor are desperate to move out
  • Hate to say it, but she will move when she's ready. You can either wait, or find somewhere else. That's the options

It sucks, we were in a similar situation. Nothing you can do
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    I'm in the process of buying and every solicitors I've contacted (even the 'low cost' online only ones) have all quoted 12-16 weeks so I'd say it's probably unlikely you'd manage to do it in 8, especially if your vendor is in a chain too. 
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

That’s the annoying thing with chains. Your completion is reliant on your seller’s. You will have to wait or look for another property. Before Christmas will be very tight more like next year.

• Don't count on a Christmas completion date.  If the vendor's vendor has only just found something (has offer been accepted? any onward chain?), it is extremely unlikely.  Christmas day is on a Saturday this year and solicitors will likely only want their last completions around the 22nd December, that's approximately 6 weeks away.  Best to relax about the whole situation and enjoy the Christmas holidays with your family and without the stress of moving house at the same time.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Try not to put unnecessary deadlines on it. You'll get in at some point. Starting again certainly won't make it happen anyway quicker. Christmas is just another day really. If anything, it's often a nightmare trying to rush in for Christmas. Getting presents, tree up, decorations, etc. 

New Year, new house. Lovely. Good luck!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport