Importing advice please

I need a new battery charger for my boat and after a search decided on a NOCO GENIUS (GENPRO2X10) only to discover it is not available in UK. There are a couple of sellers who give the impression it is, but they seem to bringing them from America (UBuy and Desertcart) which I guess means I will pick up a whole bunch of additional charges. VAT, Import Duty and administration charges.

I wonder if it is possible to buy this product from a country we have a free trade deal with which I imagine would minimise the additional charges.

This is absolutely NOT my area of expertees and your advice will be most welcome.

It is the case there are one or two other battery chargers which are more readily available but I would just like to explore the possibilities before I make my decision.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    There isn't a country that we have a free trade deal in terms of no import charges to UK. 

All inbound goods have VAT and/or customs duty payable. 

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they are available from within the EU that might be better.  Shipping charges are going to be cheaper and they will be sold without adding local VAT as it is now an export to a country outside the community.  VAT and possibly duty will be payable on arrival but this will be balalnced by the lack of French, German, etc. VAT.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    US ones maybe 120 or 240 volt @  60Hz.  UK needs 240v 50Hz.

What will happen if it fails inside the warranty period?   Risk massive charges to return it?

Why that charger and not another brand available in the UK?  
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• US ones maybe 120 or 240 volt @  60Hz.  UK needs 240v 50Hz.
    The UK is actually nominally 230V (although that can vary by +/-10V to allow for both 220V and 240V devices. Can't see why the frequency would matter - it's not a synchronous device.
    Philip
  • Mikex
    Mikex Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all replies.

No question this is a complicated issue for someone unfamiliar with such things.

I have read on GOV.UK "The UK Global Tariff applies to all goods imported into UK unless the country you are importing from has a trade agreement with UK". 

The input AC voltage is 120 to 240.

I certainly can see the problems regarding if the unit is or becomes faulty, it does get very good reviews, such a pity it is not available in UK.

I have looked at import charges and understand (of course my understanding may be incorrect) unless I can find this battery charger for sale in a country with which we have a free trade agreement the charges are 2.5% import duty. £8 Post Office fee plus VAT.

My £205 charger would work out at around £262

Mike
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From any country there will be VAT charged on entry to the UK.  Free trade normally means there is no extra duty payable but there is no escaping import VAT!
    Is your £205 including the postage cost?  VAT is payable on that too.  You will have no control over who handles the delivery here and the customs clearance fee is more likely to be around £15.
    Importing is more straightforward than exporting as the sender has to fill out the customs declaration.  The recipient just has to pay the bill so it is wise to work out approximately what it will be in advance as you are doing.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Mikex said:

I wonder if it is possible to buy this product from a country we have a free trade deal with which I imagine would minimise the additional charges.

It is the country that the good originated from (were made in) that determines whether they can be imported duty free - not the country that they are shipped from.  
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2021 at 1:30PM
    US ones maybe 120 or 240 volt @  60Hz.  UK needs 240v 50Hz.
    The UK is actually nominally 230V (although that can vary by +/-10V to allow for both 220V and 240V devices. Can't see why the frequency would matter - it's not a synchronous device.

Mines currently 247 volts.  I don't think the UK suppliers actually made any changes to lower the voltage from 240V so it's
    quite possible to get upto 253V as a peak.  I know some of the tech guys on Youtube have had more than 247 Volts
    showing in their calibrated meters so not an inaccuracy on my non calibrated meters.

With battery chargers the frequency is unlikely to affect the voltage output, but it can affect the controller and affect its
    efficiency. If it uses a timed phase then it could be innacurate. Usually OK but its possible to affect a charger.

One tool brand where the chargers are way cheaper in the US only needs a single resistor soldering to the
    board to be able to use it in the UK.  Sadly the charger is not that reliable so re-selling may not be cost effective.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback