Inaccurate information from Insurers/businesses.

I got my contents insurance renewal documents and under ‘Alternative accommodation’ it says they’ll cover X amount if your home becomes unfit to live in following loss or damage covered under buildings for:
- The cost of a similar property…..or
- Rent you’re legally responsible for under your tenancy….

It’s the ‘covered under buildings’ that confuses me. As a tenant, I obviously don’t have buildings insurance and since they mention rent, they are accepting that they will cover tenants. It’s conflicting, and made me worry they could avoid paying out if the damage is not covered under their buildings insurance. 

Live chat wasn’t available and I couldn’t find an email, although I know from past experiences that insurance companies won’t answer these sorts of questions in writing. So I rang up. The guy said alternative accommodation didn’t apply to me at all; it was only for those with buildings insurance and the same standard policy documents were sent to everyone regardless of whether they had buildings, contents or both. I pointed out that it mentions paying the rent which wouldn’t make sense if it only applied to homeowners. He then changed his mind and told me that I was covered for both alternative accommodation AND rent. I then told him that the documents say ‘OR’ not both. He hadn’t a clue, put me on hold and after waiting for too long, I hung up as he was clearly just guessing and the whole conversation was pointless. 

I’ll have to assume the documents are just poorly worded and they will indeed cover rent regardless of any buildings insurance cover, but this really annoys me with insurance companies, and businesses in general. I shouldn’t have to hope for the best and pay into these contracts blindly. The staff are often making it up as they go along and say whatever they think will make the sale. There doesn’t seem to be any comeback for consumers if they are told inaccurate information and yet we are the ones that pay the price for this if any problems occur. I recently used Argos’ live chat to confirm delivery arrangements and what I was told was completely wrong. When I later made a complaint Argos told me they are not responsible for what their employees say. So even having it in writing makes no difference! 

Rant over. 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,457
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you haven't committed yourself to this insurer, would suggest you shop around for other quotes
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    @lincroft1710 It’s LV which I thought was meant to be above average. I’d prefer Hiscox but they won’t quote for where I live anymore. I’ve had this same problem with so many other insurers that I believe the problem is universal. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,636
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    file:///Users/apple/Documents/Home-insurance-cover-and-limits-document.pdf

Page 3 shows alternative accommodation cover under contents insurance for Home Cover Policy.
  • sheramber said:

Page 3 shows alternative accommodation cover under contents insurance for Home Cover Policy.
    That's a local file address.
  • sheramber said:

We can't access files on your computer, which is probably a good thing for you. ;-)
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,636
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Go into LV 's website, scroll down to Policy Documents and page 3 shows what is covered under contents insurance
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,457
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:
    @lincroft1710 It’s LV which I thought was meant to be above average. I’d prefer Hiscox but they won’t quote for where I live anymore. I’ve had this same problem with so many other insurers that I believe the problem is universal. 
    Even big insurance companies will not always have a catch-all policy which suits everyone. Some years ago on renewal I had to shop around for one which included outbuildings as I had just spent £2K on a new car port and would have to cover the loss myself on my then policy. Your comment about Hiscox makes interesting reading.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback