RBS using third party credit agency for PPI address

Options
Today I received a letter from RBS who I dont bank with & cant recall having any accounts with at any time
This was about a PPI policy

The letter states that they were unable to contact me due to the age of the address details held on their records
They then say that they had contacted a third party external credit agency which has supplied my current address to RBS

I have no interest in claiming any PPI from RBS

But I am extremely unhappy that a third party was able to provide my current address to RBS

It doesn't mention who the third party credit agency are

Is there anyway to complain about this - I do not want to deal with RBS as I do not want to have any dealings with them or any access to my data

If anyone could help or point me in the direction of my data being supplied by a third party I would appreciate it

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    RBS could have provided finance under a different name or something like that. Or they could have got your name mixed up with someone else. Did you complain about PPI to anyone at all? If not you could just write back to them and say it was a mistake and it was incorrectly sent to you?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2021 at 4:01PM
    Options
    The most likely explanation is that they used Experian or similar to do a search for you. I used to have a job where we needed to track down ex-employees to ensure they got their pension entitlement.  Using the Experian website we could see everytime someone changed where they voted, what addresses some of their financial products were registered at and over what time period.  That could link to others at the same address which might have validated any address changes.  

All completely legit as when applying for most things you agree to the T&Cs that allow this information to be stored.  You (& most of us) are probably not aware of what we are agreeing to due to the very long T&Cs that no one actually reads completely.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback