MSE Guide - Electric vehicle energy tariffs

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can someone explain how these energy suppliers can offer EV tariffs for 5p?  They must all be loss leaders as the cost of the energy produced is the same as any other energy.

What will happen when there are millions of EV on the roads, and millions of Heat Pumps installed in homes.  Surely, the price will just increase to be the same as anything else that uses electricity.

Unless they are being subsidised by EV manufactures, what's in it for the Energy suppliers.  A unit of electricity sold at 21p is surely better for the Energy supplier then a unit of electricity sold at 5p?
    Some suppliers, like Octopus, have a separate business that sell/lease electric vehicles.  It makes marketing sense to offer an EV tariff. I would expect to see similar tariffs when Octopus releases its heat pumps to the market. It is worth remembering that if renewables are ever going to meet future demand, then there has to be a massive increase in renewable generating capacity. For example, from midday Monday to midday Tuesday, wind power dropped by 90% on the previous day.
  • OnlyRedWhite
    Options
    Do I really need an electric car to use such tariffs - BG Electric Driver? In the spiel it says 'we may ask you to validate you have an electric vehicle' but it then also says users without electric vehicles would be better off using another tariff. 

However in the actual signup it says they might ask for verification that I have an electric car!!

Why am I asking - I have solar panels with 2 batteries - but the sun does not always shine so topping up at night is a good option. In my eyes no different to an electric car. 

Any thoughts?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do I really need an electric car to use such tariffs - BG Electric Driver? In the spiel it says 'we may ask you to validate you have an electric vehicle' but it then also says users without electric vehicles would be better off using another tariff. 

However in the actual signup it says they might ask for verification that I have an electric car!!

Why am I asking - I have solar panels with 2 batteries - but the sun does not always shine so topping up at night is a good option. In my eyes no different to an electric car. 

Any thoughts?
    Octopus has a different view. It sells EVs and installs heat pumps. 

You need to own an EV to avail yourself of Octopus’ Go and Intelligent EV tariffs. Octopus’ Cosy tariff requires a heat pump.

You could avail yourself of Octopus’ Flux tariff. I am on SEG and so far today my panels have generated over £6 in export payments.
  • wisespender_2
    Options
    AVOID  SoEnergy. They don't have an ev or dual tariff. Their communications is dreadful. And there is an exit fee. If you want to complain their site doesn't have a link!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AVOID  SoEnergy. They don't have an ev or dual tariff. Their communications is dreadful. And there is an exit fee. If you want to complain their site doesn't have a link!
    @wisespender_2 Unfortunately, you seem to be seriously misinformed.  If by a 'dual tariff' you mean electricity and gas, they offer it.  If you mean a two-rate tariff, they offer Economy 7.
    There is no exit free on So Flex, their Standard Variable Tariff.
    If you wish to complain they give full details.  https://www.so.energy/unhappy/
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 969 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just reported the post from wisespender_2 as I agree, it is factually incorrect on many levels. 
  • rp1974
    rp1974 Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That as may be,you should really post your own new thread.
    Regarded as bad form gatecrashing another thread with little relevance,you could ask for your post to be moved.

• bristolleedsfan
    Options

British Gas announces free EV charging for a year

The energy supplier has unveiled a new offer, providing a year’s worth of free home charging for electric vehicle owners who purchase a Hive EV charger and switch to or use British Gas for electricity

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/11/14/british-gas-announces-free-ev-charging-for-a-year/

• rajmund55
    Options
    I am with OVO and have been trying to get the cheaper rate for nearly a year and keep coming up with the comment we will be adding soon.  My car is a Vauxhall Corsa-e and they do not seem to cover any Vauxhalls.  I wish I had not taken things for granted before signing up with OVO but will certainly take more care when my plan is up for renewal.
  • SussexSid
    Options
    I have a plug-in hybrid. I have a home EV charging point that we installed when we had solar panels fitted. 
    So far I have looked at Ovo (my current electricity provider), Octopus and E-On and they all only support certain home chargers. Bottom line, not all home chargers are equal. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback