Dog GPS tracker

Can anyone recommend a good GPS tracker for dogs? I don't need one that gives information about how far we've walked that day etc. Just one I can use to help find my dog if it slips the lead or, god forbid, is taken.
Suitable for a puppy
Thanks

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Since the tracker is attached to the collar a thief would just remove it and discard it.

Similarly , if the dog slips out if its collar then the tracker is  left behind.
  • Is your dog microchipped and have you checked to see if all the details are correct? 
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I've looked at the reviews for various ones and I've come to the conclusion that they offer a false sense of security. They all look like the could come off if your dog quite easily and most look too bulky to put on a puppy. Too many reviewers saying the coverage is unreliable and the accompanying aps fail at random times.
    Puppy has yet to be chosen. I'm just doing my homework at the moment.
    Like preparing for a baby, so many 'must haves' being pushed at the new owner / parent. 
  • I love it when people do their research before they get their puppy/dog. 

You can narrow down the likely hood of your dog running of by doing the appropiate training. Lots of people have a problem with recall.  First few months a young puppy will naturally want to follow you. Use this to your advantage and learn it to come when called. Lots of praises and treats. Recall in the home, then garden before out in the park. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Too many reviewers saying the coverage is unreliable and the accompanying aps fail at random times.
    A relative was looking after a dog for the evening. Dog has been known to 'escape' so a tracker had recently been fitted to the collar. I don't know which one they're using, but midway through the evening there was a frantic message from the owner saying the dog was showing as being on a not particularly nearby walking trail! Relative was able to send back a photo of dog under the dining table, hoping for scraps ... 

So yes, not necessarily 100% reliable! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • biscan25
    biscan25 Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So my dog has the tractive. He's a Border Collie who likes to go for a wonder, when we are out on a walk, if he's herding a crow or similar he can end up some distance away! So good for our peace of mind, although I usually have a whistle with me anyway. Accuracy has been very good so far (London), uses the 2G network so not too sensitive to building etc.
    Also, we can download his GPX files and upload these on his Strava, if you are into that (he runs with me)
    I agree they would be no good if the dog is stolen, they would just take his collar off.
    Pensions actuary, Runner, Dog parent, Homeowner
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I use Tractive in the south east. Obviously no good if stolen as they are pretty big trackers so rather obvious, but certainly gives peace of mind esp in the earlier years of recall training a young dog! If you're at all anxious about roaming and off lead play, then it's a pretty good investment. I got the insurance with mine, which was handy as the one and only time it came off out on a walk (in 4 years) was when my dog was playing in a lake. The signal stopped somewhere in the middle of the lake, so I definitely wasn't getting that one back. They sent out a replacement the same day.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm not an apple expert but I would have thought their new airtags would be ideal for this purpose.. even though they don't recommend it.
  • I think the Airtags are only compatible with iphones
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think the Airtags are only compatible with iphones
    I'm sure that is the case..Apple aren;t known for sharing :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback