Hotel refund

in Consumer Rights
9 replies 281 views
So I booked 2 rooms for a wedding I was supposed to be attending in 2023. The 'bride and groom' have since split up. £25.00 non-refundable deposit per room was taken a year ago.I emailed the hotel to see if I could get this refunded. Their response was "I can confirm we have had confirmation via the bride & groom to cancel all rooms so the two rooms you have booked with us have been canceled. Unfortunately as per your original confirmation email below the £25.00 deposit per room is none refundable but I can confirm no further payment will be taken."  I think this is really unfair as I didn't cancel the rooms myself. Anyone know if this is OK or are they trying it on? Thanks!

Replies

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you still want to stay at the hotel on those dates in 2023?
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I booked 2 rooms for a wedding I was supposed to be attending in 2023. The 'bride and groom' have since split up. £25.00 non-refundable deposit per room was taken a year ago.I emailed the hotel to see if I could get this refunded. Their response was "I can confirm we have had confirmation via the bride & groom to cancel all rooms so the two rooms you have booked with us have been canceled. Unfortunately as per your original confirmation email below the £25.00 deposit per room is none refundable but I can confirm no further payment will be taken."  I think this is really unfair as I didn't cancel the rooms myself. Anyone know if this is OK or are they trying it on? Thanks!
    What outcome are you seeking?

If you want to stay, ask the hotel to reinstate your bookings.  If you no longer want to stay, chase the separated couple for the £50 they've cost you by cancelling your booking.
  • needanewjobneedanewjob Forumite
    198 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify, no, I don't want to say. I would like to know if it's OK that the hotel keeps my deposits, even though I didn't cancel the 'non-refundable booking', 
  • edited 18 October at 12:15PM
    ItsComingRomeItsComingRome Forumite
    505 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 18 October at 12:15PM
    Just to clarify, no, I don't want to say. I would like to know if it's OK that the hotel keeps my deposits, even though I didn't cancel the 'non-refundable booking', 
    I don't see what difference it makes.

Either ask them to reinstate the booking and then don't go and lose the £50 or leave it be and lose the £50.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to stay, then you forfeit your deposit, regardless of who cancels.  If you want the process to be strictly correct, then ask the hotel to reinstate the bookings (since you didn't authorise the cancellation), then cancel yourself.  You'll still forfeit the deposit though, so I don't really understand what solution you're looking for.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you were aware it was non-refundable?
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't just state a deposit is non refundable...

But, even if they rebook the room, they could still insist on charging an admin fee for the cancellation paperwork and having to re-advertise the room, so the £25 is not far from reasonable, albeit a little on the steep side. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ssparks2003ssparks2003 Forumite
    782 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't want to stay at the hotel and to do that you would have to cancel but its not OK as someonecancelledit for you. Sorry its been a long day, surely the outcome is the same. Booking cancelled deposit lost to cover the administration of the booking and cancellation 
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    pinkshoes said:
    They can't just state a deposit is non refundable...

But, even if they rebook the room, they could still insist on charging an admin fee for the cancellation paperwork and having to re-advertise the room, so the £25 is not far from reasonable, albeit a little on the steep side. 
    But....

If despite making reasonable efforts to re-let the rooms they are unable to do so they could look to the OP for compensation for their actual unavoidable losses! That could be significantly more than the deposit!