How to find meter readings?

in Energy
14 replies 354 views
hayley11hayley11 Forumite
7.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I know this is such a basic question but I honestly don't know which numbers are the right meter readings!

We've had a smart meter for years so we used to take them from that, super easy, but since we joined Pure Planet a few months ago, the smart meter disabled itself. 

I've just tried to get meter readings after seeing they've gone bust and I'm really confused, there's so many different numbers. Any advice??
:heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
I :heart2: my doggies

Replies

• Bexie1989Bexie1989 Forumite
    15 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    What kind of smart meter do you have? On mine for example you press "6" four times to get the readings, which is listed as "IMP R01".
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take a video of the meter going through all the numbers then you can play and pause them to find which is the actual reading by comparing with past readings.
  • QrizBQrizB Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    hayley11 said:
    I know this is such a basic question but I honestly don't know which numbers are the right meter readings!
    We've had a smart meter for years so we used to take them from that, super easy, but since we joined Pure Planet a few months ago, the smart meter disabled itself. 
    I've just tried to get meter readings after seeing they've gone bust and I'm really confused, there's so many different numbers. Any advice??
    If you have single-rate electricity (not Economy 7 or similar) there should be a display that says "total active import" or similar. There will be a five-digit number displayed. This is your meter reading.
    Here's an example:

If you have E7 or one of the other multiple-rate tariffs, it's a bit more complicated.
    N. Hampshire, he/him.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 25MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
  • imeachimeach Forumite
    24 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    hayley11 said:
    If you have single-rate electricity (not Economy 7 or similar) there should be a display that says "total active import" or similar. There will be a five-digit number displayed. This is your meter reading.
    Here's an example:

If you have E7 or one of the other multiple-rate tariffs, it's a bit more complicated.
    I would add, with that specific meter, ALWAYS press the green button until it shows Rate 1
    It may be the same as the total, but BG had a tariff giving free electric on a Saturday or Sunday and that shows in R2

So if it's single rate, always read Rate 1

• UltrasonicUltrasonic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bexie1989 said:
    What kind of smart meter do you have? On mine for example you press "6" four times to get the readings, which is listed as "IMP R01".
    Wow! That's way more complicted than any meter I've had!

@hayley11 photos of your meters would probably be the fastest way to help. 

Have Pure Planet not had any meter readings for you at all yet?
  • edited 14 October at 4:04AM
    frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October at 4:04AM
    hayley11 said:

Hi,
    are talking about the IHD or the actual meter on your wall or wall box?
    Can you stick up a photie please?

Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• hayley11hayley11 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my gas meter, somebody said press 6, somebody else said 9 and there’s just so many numbers that pop up! 

This is my electric meter, same as above 🙉

Pure planet has opening readings taken from the smart meter but none since, I know it’s bad not to give them 🙉
  • edited 14 October at 11:24AM
    frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October at 11:24AM
    Hi,
    here's a wee video, LOOK, might help.
    Edit: Just to add to your woes,
    Pure Planet, and Colorado Energy join a number of small energy firms that have gone bust recently.
    BBC News, read THIS.

Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• hayley11hayley11 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the video, unfortunately the smart reader just doesn't work at all now, since we switched to Pure Planet it stopped pulling any data through, that is where I used to get the meter readings from :smile:

And yep that's why I wanted to get definite readings. 

frugalmacdugal said:
    Hi,
    here's a wee video, LOOK, might help.

Edit: Just to add to your woes,
    Pure Planet, and Colorado Energy join a number of small energy firms that have gone bust recently.
    BBC News, read THIS.

• edited 14 October at 12:49PM
    jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October at 12:49PM
    Gas meter just looks like a straight reading of 7611. Electric 2724.7 if it's single rate

How do those numbers compare to the previous readings?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.