Words of encouragement & what to do next?

Options
124»

Comments

• Wardee
    Wardee Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tealady said:
    When I became debt free I gave myself a small treat.
    Then I put "saving" into my budget. The money was put away every month, I thought of it as a "debt" to be paid.
    That way I saved for what I wanted (and appreciated things more).
    I'll be sure to treat myself to something when I finally do become debt free. I don't know what it will be as I've very much got used to not buying anything lol. Although it'll probably have to be a phone as this one is 7 years old and very much on it's last legs :D Certainly won't be a new one though! Perhaps I'll save up for a night away somewhere as a real treat :)
    That is really positive  to have paid off £4k over 6 months.  Keep going and it will soon be gone and you will have your house deposit shortly after hopefully. Keep setting yourself targets to keep motivated. 
    Thank you, it's 100% not been easy and I literally feel broke every week even if I work 60+ hours as I don't see any of the extra money. I just wonder where the money goes sometimes, I know the debt will eventually be gone but to pay all this back over the years has felt like such a never ending chore. I suppose it's similar to weight loss, you don't notice when you're enjoying yourself but it becomes obvious when you have to restrict calories.

Being debt free best be worth it after all this, it's been so long I can't remember what the feeling is like!
  • Wardee
    Wardee Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another update:

Current net worth stands at -£1874. I'm going to be 'debt free' (touch wood) in 6-8 more weeks. I've inverted commas because I still have my loan which I owe £6500 on but my overall worth will be in the positive which leads me to a question.

Should I get an early loan settlement figure (2 months interest charge) when the time arises and become truly debt free but start back with 0 savings or just carry on overpaying each month and spend another 6-8 months being in debt but having a positive net worth?

I was planning to carry on overpaying but the thought of shifting the debt completely is very appealing right now. It would mark the beginning of a new chapter in my life.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback