Words of encouragement & what to do next?

Hi all, back in January 2019 I made a New Years resolution to get out of debt once and for all. What a horrible drawn out slog it has been but I am still sticking to it. Back then my debt was £22,499, fast forward to today and my debt is £8999. It feels like the final push as I have just paid my last loan payment and now it is just 2 credit cards left. Scarily I didn't even feel that joyous after paying my last loan payment like I thought I would as that 'saved' money is just going towards more debt. I know it will all be worth it in the end but it's a daunting thought to think I have still got at least another year left of chucking all my extra income at debt and leaving me with nothing for another recurring year :(

Anyone been in a similar position have any words of encouragement to get me through to that finish line?

Going back to the credit cards, my 0% rates have both ran out now. I promised myself to never borrow again so I don't want to apply for another credit card even though I know it would be a benefit by losing the interest payments. Although I don't expect to get two more cards at a 0% rate for £4k & £5k each so should I just grin and bear the 19% apr? Should I look at a loan? Should I apply for 0% credit cards anyway and see what I get?

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Look at options for 0% cards first - not paying interest would benefit you hugely! Do you have any accounts open from paying off old cards, or did you have good standing with any other provider? Just do one application at a time for now, as if you get one card balance shifted over, you might be able to move the second high interest card to the now-empty one, if that makes sense... 

Refinancing your debt at lower rates to pay off faster isn't the worst thing to do at this stage - it's less consolidation and more about saving money. If you did go for a loan, make sure you aim to pay off in the same timeframe and don't' extend it for ease - you'll regret paying it for longer later!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2021 at 2:14PM
    Good advice from bargainbetty. I know that feeling of having cleared a major debt, but not being able to feel excited about it. However, you need to praise yourself for having stuck to your plan. You have acheived something amazing, and in quite a short time!

Being able to develop a plan for your finances and to stick to it is a major life-skill; one that will continue to benefit you for many years. When I clearled my debts, I put the money towards clearing my mortgage, so I paid this off about 8 years earlier than intended, which allowed me to saving for my retirement. As a result, I was able to retire at 53!

I do also tell people that you do have to reat yourself occasionally. If you get a payrise or bonus, put a third towards your debt, a thrid towards your mortgage and pension and spend a third on yourself.

Well done on your success. Keep up the great work.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    OK - there is good borrowing, and bad borrowing. "Good" is a mortgage, borrowing to fund education or training, of to fund the purchase of a car that is needed, for example to get to a place of employment. I'd also very much put looking to switch interest-bearing debt to a 0% card into that category too. Look at it this way - you're not "borrowing" anyway - you're simply moving the amount you borrowed previously into a different environment, where it will serve you better than it will serve the banks.

As you rightly say - this IS a slog. Accruing interest when you don't need to is simply going to make it harder, and why on earth would you do that to yourself? 

Take a look at the MSE Credit Club to give you an idea of what you might be eligible for - that will show you your likely acceptance rates. Even if the % chance is low, it's still worth trying - Martin told a lovely story some time ago of a lady who had only a tiny chance of acceptance for a BT card but applied and got it.  if you're not successful the first time, give it a couple of months and try again, and in the meantime see if there is anything in your credit file you can "tidy up" - cards that need closing for example. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I would agree that looking to move the 19% debt to 0% is worth it if you have another year before it is all paid off.  Just think of it this way that you will remember the slog and hopefully not get yourself into that position again.  It isn't easy and is boring to throw all your spare income at debt but once it is gone things will be so much better. Just apply for one initially and as EH says use the soft search MSE credit club to check out the likelihood of you being accepted. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Warde you have been given some great advice.
    What I would suggest you give yourself a treat. It needn't cost much, maybe a bottle of wine, a nice bath bomb or a quality bar of chocolate.
    Dont give up now, you have come so far. However it might be worth while to have another look at your budget to see if you could squeeze it a little more to make room for a small luxury occasionally.

Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Wardee
    Wardee Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I needed to hear. Appreciate you saying I have come this far in a short period of time, it's definitely not been easy especially with life throwing little obstacles your way but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope to be able to reverse this trend and save up enough for a house deposit by the end of 2024. That's the goal anyway, being 34 I hope I've not left it all too late.  I contribute everything to YNAB, without it I wouldn't have stuck to budgeting at all. I'm behind on retirement savings as well so that's another step I need to think about. My word if I could just reverse time and give myself a slap :#  

I will apply for a 0% card now see what offers come up for me, never thought to reapply with an old card if they offer a 0% transfer deal, great idea. 
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good look with the 0% applications. You’ve done so well so far, keep going 🙂
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2021 at 4:51PM
    I would definitely go for a new 0% card -I did this a couple of times, when I was paying mine off. Because I wasn't using a card any more, a new one was just a tool to ensure that I didn't pay more for the debt than I needed to. These new balance transfer cards were closed as soon as they were cleared. I empathise with the slog (it took me a bit over 4 1/2 years) but it's absolutely worth it to get it all out of the way!
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    34 is not old and definitely not too old to get yourself a house and a decent pension.  Use the discipline and budgeting lessons you have learned to move forward once the debt is gone resolving never to be in this situation again.  
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • You’ve made great progress. I know it’s hard but you’ve been so consistent it shows you’ve got the conviction to continue your short term debt pay down and then exciting new chapter! 
    April 2020 - £102,222 Loans/CC’s.

Jan 2022 - £0
    Cleared - £102,222

Jan 2022 - Now time to build suitable investments and a business!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback