Continuing care personal healthcare budget PHB

My mother has been given a generous personal healthcare budget.  Does anyone know if this can be used for the weekly shop.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    valueman1 said:
    My mother has been given a generous personal healthcare budget.  Does anyone know if this can be used for the weekly shop.

Extremely unlikely. It's there to help support her needs, such as treaments, equipment and personal care. More details in link.  https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/what-is-a-personal-health-budget/

• Arguably food would fall under personal care.  I’ve seen that link but it is very vague.  I need someone with first hand experience. 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,478 Forumite
    valueman1 said:
    Arguably food would fall under personal care.  I’ve seen that link but it is very vague.  I need someone with first hand experience. 
    I can't believe that would work.  What an abuse of the system if it's correct!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • In the guidance here https://www.england.nhs.uk/healthbudgets/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2015/04/guid-dirct-paymnt.pdf, it says

A  direct  payment  may  only  be  spent  on  services  agreed  in  the  care  plan (see  care  planning  section[DN: Insert ref  para  89-116]). For  brevity,  the  term  ‘services’ is used  throughout  this document,  although  it  refers to  anything  that  can  be  bought  and  which will  meet  someone’s health  needs.  The  care  plan  must  be  agreed  by  both  the  CCG and  the person  receiving  care,  or their  representative.  Before  signing  off  the  care plan,  the  CCG must  be  reasonably  satisfied  that  the  health  needs  of  the  patient  can  be  met  by  the  services specified  in  the  care  plan.   

[Talks about 'direct payments' but it's the guidance linked both via the NHS PHB page and the Disability Rights UK page.]

If someone has an expensive medical diet that is required for their health then perhaps arguably it should be included in the care plan, but if it's just for normal food then that in theory ought to be covered by whatever income-replacement benefit they claim.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    valueman1 said:
    Arguably food would fall under personal care.  I’ve seen that link but it is very vague.  I need someone with first hand experience. 

I disagree. Other income should cover food.
  • It can't be used for food. It will be flagged up on the monthly returns, and the CHC may assign a company to take over running the budget.
  • it can be used for support staff to accompany the person food shopping. I even use mine for support to access the community such as the cinema and eating out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback