Am I still a student? Council Tax

Hi all, 

I started university in September 2020 and I am in my 2nd year but I have recently deferred this year (taken a 12-month break). I am due to return to uni in September 2022. Am I still a student for the purposes of a Council tax reduction? The uni still counts me as a student and I even have a laptop on loan from them etc because I can still use all their resources. I have advised my Council about my change in circumstances but have not received any acknowledgement as of yet. I used to live with a partner so we paid 1 adult rate, but we have now separated and it is just me and my 6yo son, so I am wondering if I am still paying the right rate. 

I hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for your replies. 

Comments

• mluton
    mluton Posts: 796
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not the same, but we had a similar query in lockdown and as long as your course end date is proven with the local council you should be fine, as you may have previously done and supplied the letter of the course.

My wife was studying her degree, then deployed as a nurse during lockdown, for this period we told the council of the changes and they said as long as you are part of the university and have a valid end date, we sent proof as the end date changed. They accepted this.
  • Rachbuka
    Rachbuka Posts: 16
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you very much for your reply. I will have to ask my uni to provide me with a letter stating my new end date. Thank again, that's very helpful !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback