End time on auction suddenly changed?

Options
Hi I'm a bit confused on this one. I placed a bid on an item with 12hrs remaining. I first got an email I was outbid, then another to say a bid was retracted so I'm the highest bidder, and now another email saying I've one please pay. Only 10 minutes ago there were still 12hrs to go before the item finished, how did the seller change the end time? Does it look dodgy?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maskface said:
    Hi I'm a bit confused on this one. I placed a bid on an item with 12hrs remaining. I first got an email I was outbid, then another to say a bid was retracted so I'm the highest bidder, and now another email saying I've one please pay. Only 10 minutes ago there were still 12hrs to go before the item finished, how did the seller change the end time? Does it look dodgy?
    No a seller cannot change the ending time unless they opted to close it and sell to the highest bidder, but the finished auction would show that. It is possible that they were shill bidding to find your maximum bid and then retracted the shill bid, but it’s impossible to prove unless bidding history shows a lot of interaction between the 2 2 accounts. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Maskface
    Maskface Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 October 2021 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Thank you, so how would you play this? I'm now wondering if it was a shill bid but I wasn't going to go higher anyway but I'm now committed to pay aren't I?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A seller can, I believe, end an auction early to sell to the highest bidder.  If they thought the bidder who outbid you was dodgy or trying to wreck the auction and might try again, but were happy with your bid, they might do this.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Maskface
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 October 2021 at 5:24PM
    Options
    Thanks. I do want the item so I'm going through with it but just seemed odd how out of nowhere I suddenly won.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could the explanantion be that you had the page open on your computer all the time?  The time left may not change unless you refresh the page, so it would seem that the end time keeps moving to 12 hours in the future.
  • Maskface
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2021 at 12:27PM
    Options
    martindow said:
    Could the explanantion be that you had the page open on your computer all the time?  The time left may not change unless you refresh the page, so it would seem that the end time keeps moving to 12 hours in the future.
    Nope definitely not that. I honestly think they guaged the price to see how high I'd go then closed the auction.
  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't see why they would close the auction though?
    Once they had bid you up as far as they could why not leave the auction running to see if anybody else outbids you?
  • Maskface
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe they were just seeing how high I'd go and we're happy with my offer so accepted it. I agree though it does seem odd when there were still several hours left.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Maskface said:
    Maybe they were just seeing how high I'd go and we're happy with my offer so accepted it. I agree though it does seem odd when there were still several hours left.
    It does seem rather odd but if you go through the eBay system with all payments and messages, etc, if anything does go wrong you are guaranteed your money back.

It's only when people go off grid that things start to go wrong. 

However, if you think it seems fishy then you can always retract your offer too. Giving that very reason.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Maskface said:
    It does seem rather odd but if you go through the eBay system with all payments and messages, etc, if anything does go wrong you are guaranteed your money back.

It's only when people go off grid that things start to go wrong. 

However, if you think it seems fishy then you can always retract your offer too. Giving that very reason.
    You can’t retract a bid once auction has finished. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback