Council tax annexe

Hi just after some advice.

My mother in law lives on her own in a 3 bed detached house, I've just brought it (with a mortgage) using a gift of equity, she is having a granny flat (semi permanent) built in the garden for her to live in.

My wife and I will move into the house once the granny flat is built which should take a couple of months.

Do I have to pay council tax on the property seeing as I now own it or does my mother in law ?? (She will stay in the house until the granny flat is built) and will she have to pay council tax on the granny flat when it's built ??, she is over 65, not that I think that makes any difference. 

We already have permission to build the granny flat from the council, it's not made of brick, it's more a flat pack, but it is self contained and connected to the utilities.
Thanks for any info...


  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,980 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    you're not living there so you shouldn't be paying the tax (well you could if you want but you don't have to).  She should pay the tax presumably at the discounted single occupancy rate.  Same thing for when someone is renting as I understand it.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also technically you are now her landlord and will need to get the relevant safety certificates etc. 
  • briza
    briza Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    I do live elsewhere at the moment and pay council tax on the property I currently occupy,  but as I now own the mother in laws property, am I liable for the council tax on that property ??, but I take it she can continue to pay it whilst she lives there until we move in, in a few weeks time. Yes I guess I am now her landlord. Thanks for the comments.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2021 at 6:01PM
    CT is the responsibility of the occupier of a dwelling (there are exceptions, but none apply in your case) so your MIL will continue to be responsible for the house until she moves into the annex. If it is self contained the annex will have its own CT band but as your MIL would appear to meet the criteria for a dependent relative, no CT would actually be paid on the annex.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards