We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New pond - anything I can add to it now?

Options
We have just made a pond in our allotment out of an old children's sand pit so it is not very large - about 12 inch deep and 4 feet square. We have filled it with water - including some from a neighbouring allotment's pond - but is there anything we can be planting in it or around it at the moment? We don't want fish, just to attract frogs and toads. It is on a south facing slope, close to but not underneath an oak tree, next to the rhubarb patch but with no other shade.

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Leave it alone, and with any luck, the frogs and/or toads will find it in their own sweet time.

We had a wildlife pond made a few years ago now, and come spring it was full of frogs busy mating. We also have another small water-container and the tiny frogs have found that too, when they left the pond as froglets from tadpoles.

You could possibly make it a bit deeper, to allow frogs to spend the winter at the bottom where they breathe through their skins. There are plenty of waterside plants you can put around the edges, but maybe not at this time of year. My favourites are marsh-marigolds, Kingcups we called them as kids. Use native marshy plants, they're better for our own wildlife than exotic species.

HTH

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You dont need to add anything, create a pond close to ground level and frogs will magically appear as may the odd toad if your lucky.
  • jackiegibbo
    Options
    Put in some oxygenating plants you can get them very cheaply nowadays in the garden centres.We have a frog which visits our pond regularly and he likes to hide by our clump of plants
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On the subject of ponds, this year, we started off a patio pond. It is one of those free standing things bought from a garden centre a few years ago (impulse purchase) and never used. It is about 24" high X 36" across (six sided).

During the summer, we filled it with tap (horror) water and let it stand for 2/3 weeks. A bucket full of gravel/pebbles was added, after they'd been through hot water and cleaned. A elderly neighbour gave me four different pond plants which were also added. Another two weeks passed and I introduced three fish. We had thought we'd have more, but took advice and kept to three.

As the summer grew on, so the water turned green, but it has now cleared itself and is almost crystal clear. The pond was situated where the sun hit it for just a short time each day and any leaves which should fall into it, are quickly scooped up with a small net.

The old man informed me he stops feeding his fish on a certain date and then nothing more till another date in the spring. It seems if you do feed them, and because they are less lively in the cold weather, any food you give them, wouldn't digest and they may die. He says there is enough food/debris in the pond for them to survive.

What we have done, is to purchase a child's hoola-hoop which we've placed in a large clear plastic bag. If there is any suggestion of a heavy frost or snow, this will be placed overnight over the pond. Further to that, he has tied string round a tennis ball and that is suspended over and into the pond by a cane. If the pond should freeze, I simply have to lift the cane/ball and open up the ice. This releases and gas. He says that to press the ice to break it, could cause the fish to die of shock. By lifting the ball, you have the opportunity to lift the ice out, should you wish.

I don't think we can do any more, if they do die then so be it. But at least we'll know that we've done all we can. I hope this might help anyone considering starting a pond.
  • BREX
    BREX Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the water temperature drops below 10 then you should stop feeding your fish......we generally start feeding again about April...;)
    Thanks to all comp posters:A
    Do not take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

Can you get a jam jar or so of water, silt etc from an established pond? Then over winter the microscopic life will start to improve the habitat in your pond.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let me tell you this. I responded to a freebie on freecycle and got some frogspawn, which didn't live. They say it was the worst thing i could have done. Also, any weed taken from another pond could be a problem. What your fish can get is white spot and that can be lethal.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Not a good idea to transfer from one pond to another. Wait, and the amphibians will find their own way to it. Come spring, you'll find your pond has suddenly come alive.

The first spring after our pond was made (in the October) we weren't aware there were any frogs in it, until we saw a large blob of frog-spawn! Thereafter, we were able to watch them all mating, especially on wet days. Great entertainment.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • JulianF_2
    Options
    BREX wrote: »
    If the water temperature drops below 10 then you should stop feeding your fish......we generally start feeding again about April...;)

We hardly feed our fish at all. In summer they get a handful of fish-food once every two or three weeks - and that 's it! They don't get anything in the winter.

And they seem quite happy and healthy like this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure