EDF - who else got their tariff change today?

in Energy
7 replies 358 views
wishuswishus Forumite
979 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭
Was GNE through Energy Club, got moved to EDF on GNE's collapse, and have just come off cheap welcome deal to standard variable or "deemed". We got letters inviting us to pick different tariffs before the crisis hit the news, but they went, so as per ML's advice on ITV, I am sticking with the standard variable and keeping an eye on things for now. About to go do another meter reading, joy.
The info that was on my account last week about the £142 est standard variable tariff that we are now on has disappeared from the account. I can just see payment info at our old cheap deal rate of £65, and that's our next bill, as I would expect, and it says on the account that our next DD review is in December, which should be an estimate of our use from the start of the tariff for 12 months, divided by 12, with credits or debits accrued accordingly. 
I highly suspect the account will have more info - possibly different info tomorrow re the payment schedule, because of today being changeover day.

And they want to fit a smart meter, but we can refuse, apparently. I'm dubious about this and so is my husband. Anyone else have any thoughts on these?

I suppose the best we can do is really take care of our usage and monitor it well as we go into the cold bit of the year. 

Oh boy, this is a wild ride isn't it?  :/
Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!

Replies

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    New fix all in place on Oct 2

Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Mrnkar_2Mrnkar_2 Forumite
    22 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    Me. I too have gone for the variable rate for the moment as the fix price on lots of websites was a huge increase for me. I sent them meter readings yesterday and took screenshots of my new deal, in case they change anything.
  • DolorDolor Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    wishus said:

And they want to fit a smart meter, but we can refuse, apparently. I'm dubious about this and so is my husband. Anyone else have any thoughts on these?

Dubious in what way? They are just meters that measure usage and connect to a secure network. If for some reason the connection to the network fails then you just read the meters as you do today. I have had SMETS2 meters for 2 1/2 years and there have not been any connection issues.

Going forward we can expect more and more tariffs based on time of use not just how much energy you use. Spain has just introduced this pricing model (the RED from 10am to 2pm and 6pm to 10pm is partly due to air conditioner use.) i suspect that there will be a Winter version of this tariff.

In future, tariff comparisons will be based on 12 month's worth of actual usage data recovered from your meter. Nothing underhand here: YOU have to give express permission for anyone to to access your meter data and the organisation that does it has to be formally registered by the Data Communications Company that runs the network.

As I sit here typing this there is heavy thunderstorm rain. I can access my meter readings without getting wet. My supplier also produces daily graphs showing my total usage broken down into 30 minute periods along with a daily cost. I can get various apps that allow me to use this limited data to compare all of my present supplier's tariffs to make sure that I am not paying too much.

Yes, as some will point out, these meters have built in remote on/off switches. All permanent supply disconnections require a Court Order. There have been no gas supply disconnections since 2018.

So why did they bother to fit remote on/off switches?  Many countries now offer cheap tariffs where the consumer agrees to a power limit at certain times of the day when there is high electricity demand. For example, a maximum load of say 4kWs would get you a cheaper tariff than one with a 6kW limit. Should the agreed power limit be exceeded, then the supplier sends messages via text; email and on the in house display to the consumer asking for the load to be reduced. Only if these requests are ignored will the power be turned off. There is a dedicated line to get power restored. Frequent breaches will result in a change of tariff.
  • edited 4 October at 5:59PM
    chris1973chris1973 Forumite
    881 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October at 5:59PM
    A lot of businesses in the UK already pay tariffs similar to the above, its only a matter of time before they filter down to domestic ones. I've only ever seen one domestic tariff in the UK offering different rates at different times of the day, and that was from Bulb. Their 4pm - 8pm peak rates were eye watering at 42p KW/h and this kind of billing is not likely to sit well with those who work a 9 - 5 Job.

Cheap Energy is of no use to me or millions of others at 3AM, nor medium rate at 2PM as i'm at work - meaning the bulk of my energy use will be during the Evening for five days a week. If prices do increase to those Bulb examples, i'll just run from a diesel genny at peak times as it will be significantly cheaper - perhaps as much as 35% cheaper, and switch to the grid at weekends.

Of course, you could invest in heat storage or battery banks, but again, lots of people just don't have tens of thousands of pounds just kicking around.

So once again, another hot rocking idea which seems designed to affect the low income working households the most. I can also see the temptation for many to risk running tumble dryers etc overnight to take advantage of the lower rates, leading to more house fires.

So yes, I can see the attraction for those who want to resist fitting a smart meter for as long as possible.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • QrizBQrizB Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    chris1973 said:
    A lot of businesses in the UK already pay tariffs similar to the above, its only a matter of time before they filter down to domestic ones. I've only ever seen one domestic tariff in the UK offering different rates at different times of the day, and that was from Bulb. Their 4pm - 8pm peak rates were eye watering at 42p KW/h and this kind of billing is not likely to sit well with those who work a 9 - 5 Job.
    There was a short list of them that I pulled together posted here somewhere. From memory I found:
    • Octopus Go, Go Faster (still available, 2 rates)
    • Octopus Agile (still available, a different rate for every 30 minutes)
    • Green Tide (still available, 4 rates weekdays / 2 rates weekends)
    • Logicor Advanced (availability not checked, 4 rates)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus / Zog RIP now EDF / Voda BB / O2 mobi.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 25MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
  • wishuswishus Forumite
    979 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Great points everyone. And then my hypo brain completely forgot to get the readings yesterday after I got distracted, so that's this morning's first job before work, but after the dog walk.

Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
  • ArmengarArmengar Forumite
    206 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    OT but i refuse a smart meter until i have no choice. Energy tariff for time of day would be a nightmare for us precisely for the reasons above, i use electricity at prak times not out of laziness but because I have no choice.  I have children, i have the usual uniform and dirty PE kit "for tomorrow", i use a tumble drier out of necessity not laziness.  Putting a load on in cheap overnight will not magically move the washing into the drier and will not separate the colours for the next load so I have to run in peak time.

no ta.