Cancellation of blocked driving lessons

Options
Hi I’m wondering Where I stand as regards to a weeks intensive driving Course I booked for my son for £1450’ he had started on the Monday but Tuesday morning tested positive for COVID-19 so had to cancel his course! And isolate for 10 days ! For the last week he’s been ringing the driving school to get a update the the situation? and they have not answered his calls or Replied to his emails? Anyone know where we stand as regards him getting a refund Thanks rich

Comments

• Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It will depend on the terms and conditions, but I suspect a refund is unlikely.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It'll be subject to the school's cancellation terms. What do they say?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I’m wondering Where I stand as regards to a weeks intensive driving Course I booked for my son for £1450’ he had started on the Monday but Tuesday morning tested positive for COVID-19 so had to cancel his course! And isolate for 10 days ! For the last week he’s been ringing the driving school to get a update the the situation? and they have not answered his calls or Replied to his emails? Anyone know where we stand as regards him getting a refund Thanks rich
    Why does he want a refund?

I understand the inconvenience, but he had the Monday lessons and will, presumably, want to continue once the instructor is well again and able to continue the course.  I doubt that it is practical to simply book another course in at no notice with another provider, so waiting until this provider can let the course continue may well be the most pragmatic approach.

Even if this impacts on a pre-booked driving test, that opportunity is likely passed now and unable to be achieved, so a reschedule is the only option.

I'd be more concerned at taking my own covid tests and understanding the latest rules about isolation (which seem to vary on vaccination status).
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where did it say that the instructor was ill?
  • Cormack654321gg
    Options
    Hi ! No it was my son  who tested positive for COVID 19
    Thanks rich 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ! No it was my son  who tested positive for COVID 19
    Thanks rich 
    Sorry, I had misunderstood the first post and thought it was the instructor that was ill.

This makes my earlier response irrelevant.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to read the terms and conditions of the booking. 
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with what Grumpy_chap said though, about perhaps just re-booking the course instead of cancelling. People must have to cancel or postpone all the time, I'd have thought. Your son can't continue if he has Covid 19.

If it's postponed the driving school doesn't lose out and neither do you or your son. At least he started the course, so his intention was to fulfil the contract. I hope you will be able to come to some arrangement with the driving school. 

You could do worse than contact Citizens Advice, they know everything about everything! Because that is a lot of money to lose, especially when your son still wants to learn to drive. 

Citizens Advice -  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MalMonroe said:

If it's postponed the driving school doesn't lose out and neither do you or your son. 
    Time costs money. If the instructor doesn't work then the income is more than likely lost. 
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As others have said, you will need to read the T&Cs you (or your son) signed.

One issue is that because of the short notice the instructor may not be able to take on other pupils, so may well have lost income for that week.

I suspect that you would have more chance if you ask to reschedule the course rather than looking to get a refund, but you might not be entitled to either . 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback