Death certificate

Options
For those that applied for probate online, did you have to post the death certificate? I haven't been told to but seems like something that you would expect for them to see.

There's no will so don't need to send anything else, but I don't want to slow down the application in any way.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there is no will, probate is not required. 
    Letters of administration are required to go firward
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2021 at 5:58PM
    Options
    I think I've seen someone on this board say that they had to send off a death certificate, but we didn't have to. I think it may depend on the length of time that has elapsed since the death - for the first few months only the local registrar will have the details of the death, so you might be asked to send one, but after the end of the quarter the General Register gets updated and once it's on there I suspect that the relevant authorities will simply be able to access and verify the details themselves online.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff said:
    If there is no will, probate is not required. 
    Letters of administration are required to go firward
    Please see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-probate-by-post-if-there-is-not-a-will
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I saw that but it does say in the second sentence
    Applyfor letters of administration. 

If you apply for probate they will want sight of a will, impossible because there is no will

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2021 at 11:52AM
    Options
    McKneff said:
    Yes I saw that but it does say in the second sentence
    Applyfor letters of administration. 

If you apply for probate they will want sight of a will, impossible because there is no will

Whilst you are technically correct, the offical site appears to use 'probate' as a shorthand for 'letters of administration', as illustrated by Marcons link to the gov.uk site above, which is entitled 'applying for probate by post if there is not a will'

• PeterE17
    PeterE17 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To go back to the original question: I applied online for probate (rather than letters of administration) and submitted a scanned copy of the death certificate that clearly showed the watermark (using 300 dots-per-inch setting on the scanner). 
  • DancingBadger
    Options
    I've just submitted an application for Probate this morning; the only documents requested were the original will and a renunciation form for the other executor who didn't want to be involved in the probate process.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback