What is the difference between a grant of probate and a certified copy

Options
What is the difference between a grant of probate and a certified copy, we have sold my late parents house and have been waiting for probate which we now have and a copy has been sent to buyers solicitor they are now asking for a certified copy - what is that and why is the grant of probate not sufficient?  Can anyone advise thanks

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    A certified copy is one that has been verified to be a copy of an original.

Regular copies are not acceptable in all circumstances.

when you apply for the grant  It is recommended that you get extra originals(in effect certified copies) so you can send them off to those places that need them at the same time rather than waiting for one to come back have a spare in case the others get lost.

We had one come back cut in two by a letter opening machine.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think of it similar to sending a photocopy of a Will somewhere. 

It is more likely going to have to be you either show the original, or the person you show the original to, takes a copy and signs to say it is a copy of the original. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are wanting to see the piece of paper with the hologram on it - not a photocopy.  If it is a photocopy, they want it to be appropriately certified.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Who obtained probate? They have been sent the Grant, may have sensibly asked the probate office for several 'copies' (there's a small charge for extras) & they'll all look the same, ALL will have a round SILVER hologram in the bottom right corner, that is the 'certified' bit.

You can buy extra ones now, but they cost more than buying at the same time as probate is applied for, or you can take one with the silver hologram to a soliciter & ask for a certified copy.

They'll photocopy it, certify it as being a true copy of the original & you can send that.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,690 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alternatively the buyer's solicitors could stump up £1.50 and download a copy from https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Alternatively the buyer's solicitors could stump up £1.50 and download a copy from https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
    Now there's an easy plan if it's classed as (or is) a certified copy. 
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • louiseb
    Options
    A certified copy is one that has been verified to be a copy of an original.

Regular copies are not acceptable in all circumstances.

when you apply for the grant  It is recommended that you get extra originals(in effect certified copies) so you can send them off to those places that need them at the same time rather than waiting for one to come back have a spare in case the others get lost.

We had one come back cut in two by a letter opening machine.
    I did send the original to them with the hologram on it and yes I ordered several copies so I could deal with other items in the mean time so it is the same document I have already will go back to them now thanks
  • louiseb
    Options
    Who obtained probate? They have been sent the Grant, may have sensibly asked the probate office for several 'copies' (there's a small charge for extras) & they'll all look the same, ALL will have a round SILVER hologram in the bottom right corner, that is the 'certified' bit.

You can buy extra ones now, but they cost more than buying at the same time as probate is applied for, or you can take one with the silver hologram to a soliciter & ask for a certified copy.

They'll photocopy it, certify it as being a true copy of the original & you can send that.

Thanks I obtain the Grant and yes I did get copies and paid extra so I have all I need and this was sent to buyers solicitor so not sure what his problem is now I know I will give him a ring -thanks

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback