PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller refusing to sign LPE1 form

Options
2»

Comments

• london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If seller is not cooperating, find another property.
  • rexmedorum
    Options
    Were you given any reason as to why the won't sign?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,784 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When we were selling MiL's flat the freeholder wouldn't sign as they didn't know anything about the property.  I think when they had purchased their flat and the freehold a few months earlier they didn't get a LPE1.  If they had they would have known all the answers.  As it was we ended up filling it out as MiL had lived there for 30+ years.  But we couldn't sign it of course and the freeholders refused but their solicitor was fine signing on their behalf (for a few) taking what we had filled in as correct.  

Potentially your freeholder also purchased recently and without an LPE1 and that's why they can't in good faith complete it.  Can the person with the leasehold who presumably has been there a while assist in any way??  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • suoneena
    Options
    The seller says they have insufficient knowledge of the property (they are a resale company who bought the flat 6 months ago and never lived there - although they did complete the form). And the co-freeholders said they believe the form should only be signed by the seller (I don't think that's right?)
  • suoneena
    Options
    Your solicitor might be able to hold back the amount of unpaid ground rent for the time between the last collection and the completion date to cover a bill that might be presented to you as the new owner. 
    Thank you - I won't have to pay the ground rent as I'd be the co-freeholder after purchase. Only the leaseholder needs to pay ground rent (they're the third flat, w/o a share in the freehold). The ground rent would be paid to me and the other co-freeholders who are currently trying to collect it but not hearing back from the leaseholder, which makes me wonder about how cooperative the leaseholder is.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    suoneena said:
    Your solicitor might be able to hold back the amount of unpaid ground rent for the time between the last collection and the completion date to cover a bill that might be presented to you as the new owner. 
    Thank you - I won't have to pay the ground rent as I'd be the co-freeholder after purchase.

You still have to pay the ground rent...
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,657 Forumite
    Options
    suoneena said:
    The seller says they have insufficient knowledge of the property (they are a resale company who bought the flat 6 months ago and never lived there - although they did complete the form). And the co-freeholders said they believe the form should only be signed by the seller (I don't think that's right?)

Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of an informal "shared freehold".

If it was a 3rd party freeholder, employing a professional managing agent - they'd almost certainly fill-in and sign the LPE1 - but the seller would have to pay them a fee for doing it.

This situation suggests that the other joint freeholder "doesn't understand the role of a freeholder" or is being difficult or is scared of signing official forms etc.

Maybe you should consider whether it's sensible to go ahead and jointly own a freehold building with somebody like that.

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to let you know, you will also still be a leaseholder. All 3 flat owners are leaseholders, not just the one who doesn't have a share in the freehold.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    We've had fun with our LPE1... Our freeholder will fill it in and sign it for a fee, but they'll only fill in the questions relating to ground rent, nothing else.

Our service charge goes to a Committee that everyone is a member of... we can fill in all the details and provide all the evidence for the rest of it, but there's nobody on the Committee to sign it, everyone has an equal position. Typically we'd have general meetings and the treasurer/admin/someone else would sign there if we asked, I think, but everyone is pretty widespread because of Covid at the moment... 

We've provided all the information separately to the form and that seems to have gone okay so far, but it does seem to be an awkward process. There's nothing to hide in our accounts, everything is audited and well documented, all checks and things are done, no issues with Section 20s/collecting ground rent/nobody in arrears... it's a clear form, there's just not really anyone in our current set-up to sign to that effect, with the way things are currently set up. 
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,657 Forumite
    Options
    We've had fun with our LPE1... Our freeholder will fill it in and sign it for a fee, but they'll only fill in the questions relating to ground rent, nothing else.

Our service charge goes to a Committee that everyone is a member of... we can fill in all the details and provide all the evidence for the rest of it, but there's nobody on the Committee to sign it, everyone has an equal position. Typically we'd have general meetings and the treasurer/admin/someone else would sign there if we asked, I think, but everyone is pretty widespread because of Covid at the moment... 

We've provided all the information separately to the form and that seems to have gone okay so far, but it does seem to be an awkward process. There's nothing to hide in our accounts, everything is audited and well documented, all checks and things are done, no issues with Section 20s/collecting ground rent/nobody in arrears... it's a clear form, there's just not really anyone in our current set-up to sign to that effect, with the way things are currently set up. 

So as a committee, why haven't you decided a process for how a document like that gets signed?

My viewpoint would be... if you want to set up a Committee that deals with the service charge, the Committee should do the whole job (including signing documents), not just part of it.

I find it a little bit scary that groups of leaseholders are buying freeholds, forming RTM companies, forming committees, etc without understanding the scope of the responsibilities they're taking on.

And it turns into a nightmare for individual leaseholders - for example, when their flat becomes virtually unsaleable because nobody will sign an LPE1 form, nobody will answer pre-contract enquiries, etc.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure