We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pet Insurance (for multiple pets) and single renewal date going forward.

Options
I already have a cat insured with 'The Pet Emporium' which is due for renewal in February however just adopted a new kitten this week that I'm looking to insure. I'm aware of multi-pet insurance which usually saves a percentage off the cover however, I can't determine is whether there is any way of synchronising up the renewal dates for my insurance going forward? i.e covering our new kitten for the next 5/6 months and at a renewal date in the future, insure both cats at the same time?

The above would make it easier to manage, and help me shop around when the time comes to renew. I've been with my current insurance provider for 3 years however they were quick to dismiss any options here and stated I would be taking out a new policy with its own renewal date.

Has anyone successfully managed to make this a reality with any companies out there?

Comments

• LippyDoodle
    Options
    I don't know because I had 6 cats who were all added at various times to my insurance but the renewal date was the same for them all. I was with Pet Plan. I can't remember how it was done but I know I phoned them up each time.

Been a long time since I looked at pet insurance so it could have all changed so please do your own research, but you used to be able to pay monthly or yearly. If you paid monthly and you made no claims between the start date to the end date you could cancel at anytime (30 days notice). If that's still applicable you could take out a plan for your kitten, pay monthly, pray you don't need to go the vets and then when your older cats insurance is nearing it's end date, give notice on your kittens insurance then start a fresh with both when the times right. 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     There are companies that will let you adda pet to an existing policy. They would charge an increased premium for  the period left on the original policy and then, at renewal,  charge one amount going forward.

I would recommend you review who are insured with.  I would avoid any company related to E&L as they are known for avoiding paying out.

Cheap policies are cheap for a reason.

• mrsshrek3
    Options
    We've done this with 3 pets, with Sainsburys pet insurance. I just rang the helpline and they sorted it. I'd moved to Sainsbury for the multi pet cover and better policy. The ability to put them in sync was a bonus. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure