Chip Savings Account - a scam?

Options
CHIP financial periodically promoted in the weekly MSE email, have to date, failed, after several months of trying, taken a single payment for 'investment' This is, according to them, because the linked account (Santander) has a problem. Yet remarkably, they were able to take one of their ever inflating charges from the very same account.

So my question is:

Have you had a good experience with CHIP and are you actually making the promised returns after all the fees are deducted?

Chip Savings Account - a scam? 14 votes

Yes, it's been great!
35%
1882calmacukquirkydeptlessEmmiamrkds 5 votes
No, it's a nightmare
14%
DireEmblemwonko 2 votes
I haven't tried it and don't trust theses methods
50%
donglemousesomeonejanusdesignmjdh1957george4064tigerspillmaxsteam 7 votes
I'm undecided
0%

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 September 2021 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Yes, it's been great!
    Personally I'm happy with Chip, I've got one of the +1 accounts and I've had no issues with the auto savings etc. Or withdrawing money.

I use HSBC so I can't comment on the experience with a linked Santander account.
  • george4064
    Options
    Voted 3rd option, but my response is more like “Haven’t tried it, and not bothered by it.”

I don’t have any particular opinion of whether I trust it or not, as I’ve never used it!
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • DireEmblem
    Options
    No, it's a nightmare
    I've stopped using it.  Perhaps its improved, but found their app to be buggy when I did, nor did I like the fact they upgraded my account when I did not ask and I started to incur charges.

That said, they were refunded.
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    Options
    I go after any and all top savings accounts as long as they don't have "catch ya" terms, and I have never once been remotely tempted by Chip .It seems perfect for people who don't mind, or seek, complex T&Cs, and who don't mind losing money in the process of pursuing their savings. Not for me, thank you.
  • Neruda
    Neruda Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used Chip when they started and for a year or so they paid five per cent on a reasonable amount of money. Then they stopped paying interest and I withdrew everything, and I have watched in bemusement as the product becomes increasingly complex. I still receive their emails but I am not touching it.
  • maxsteam
    Options
    Time will tell if it's a scam or not. Some banks' fraud prevention measures will deliberately make it hard to transfer funds. Any funds in Chip are not FSCS protected. If it's not a scam, it's a bad idea to use it for large amounts.

The Financial Services Compensation Scheme will not be able to consider a claim against this firm if it fails.

• Emmia
    Options
    Yes, it's been great!
    maxsteam said:
    Time will tell if it's a scam or not. Some banks' fraud prevention measures will deliberately make it hard to transfer funds. Any funds in Chip are not FSCS protected. If it's not a scam, it's a bad idea to use it for large amounts.

The Financial Services Compensation Scheme will not be able to consider a claim against this firm if it fails.

That's not true - the Chip +1 account has the protection as well as the account offered in conjunction with Allica bank

The e wallet (the original Chip account) which didn't have FSCS is no longer available.
  • maxsteam
    Options
    Emmia said:

That's not true - the Chip +1 account has the protection as well as the account offered in conjunction with Allica bank

The e wallet (the original Chip account) which didn't have FSCS is no longer available.
    It is highly irresponsible to spread misinformation like this. Some people have put huge amounts of money into Chip on the basis of such misinformation.

There is no FSCS cover for Chip savers. If Chip fail, you can make complaints and you can lodge a claim with the liquidator but you will not be able to make a claim under the FSCS.
  • Emmia
    Options
    Yes, it's been great!
    maxsteam said:
    Emmia said:

It is highly irresponsible to spread misinformation like this. Some people have put huge amounts of money into Chip on the basis of such misinformation.

There is no FSCS cover for Chip savers. If Chip fail, you can make complaints and you can lodge a claim with the liquidator but you will not be able to make a claim under the FSCS.
    I'm not spreading misinformation - the lack of protection was true for the e-wallet, but that "account" is no longer available and was closed and deleted this month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback