Hearing Aids

Options
A search of old posts only came up with information circa 2012 so thought I'd create a new post.....

My dad wants to upgrade his NHS aid which he doesn't get on with. Since NHS claim no better model he is looking at the usual high street options. Can anybody recommend good hearing aid brands and advise on current tech/ options available privately so he can do some research prior to his consultation? I would think a rechargeable option would be handy but beyond that, all the filtering / smart options a quick online scan brings up is bewildering.

Secondly, what is the MSE smart way to purchase? Is it really £2k - £3k for a pair of earphones or is there a good option to buy internationally / online and possibly arrange truely independent tuning / adjustment rather than the common purchase/fitting model offered by the high street?

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First question is what aids does Dad have at present?  Make and model?  Why doesn't he get on with them?

NHS audiology can prescribe quite advanced, programmable, digital aids nowadays, so perhaps his hearing loss is such that the NHS statement is correct?  Some modern aids even have bluetooth connectivity and are controllable via a phone app to suit different scenarios.  In some areas Specsavers are the NHS suppliers and GPs refer people to them for testing etc.,.

RNID is the goto resource I'd suggest?  
    https://rnid.org.uk/information-and-support/get-support-online/
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with Rodders: what is the actual problem? Comfort and fine tuning should be adjustable ...

If he just finds them fiddly / too much like hard work,  private aids may not be much help ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just received a hearing aid from NHS,yes its fiddly but  the latest ones are very good.
    Takes a little time to get used to them,there not a cheap brand.he will be wasting his money on the others.

• nickkohl
    Options
    Any update?
  • jerryjerry
    jerryjerry Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 29 November 2023 at 9:25PM
    Options
    Today is Black Friday, maybe you will find a good deal. I find it the cheapest option to try few different aids with your audiologist and then to buy hearing aids online. Very often you can get a decent discount and the with prices of hearing aids that can be a large amount of cash.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback