We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Wildbird Food?

Options
2»

Comments

• chunkymunky_3
    Options
    Im really lucky in that i live only a birds flight from an RSPB wetland centre, and they have huge bins of seed, fruit, nuts etc etc etc which can be bought by weight, and really surprisingly its the cheapest in the area too, then i collect the dripping from the sunday roast and my mums and my mother in laws, and mix my own fat mixture which i pack into half a coconut with a hole drilled for hanging!

if im feeling generous and have spare cash i make an extra one with just dripping and mealworms, which Percy loves and only he seems to visit
    Percy by the way is the Robin which lives in the nesting box in my garden, hes been coming back for years and i can set my watch by him coming for breakfast!

He also likes to sit on the fence watching me dig so he can eat anything nice i uncover, never offers to help dig though!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    My aviary birds seem extra picky and don't eat all in their mix so we sieve it, remove any duff bits and recycle this. We also sell peanuts so get them cheap. Garden is full of birds except when the sparrowhawk flies through.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had to peanut holders up for 2 weeks, but the birds dont seem interested at all. I've put one on a willow playhouse and the other on a bird table, but they just arent bothered, they would rather have the bread on the ground.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Susieb, they need a bit of time to get used to new feeders, they are always nervous at first. If you keep filling them they will eventually start using them.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    susieb wrote: »
    I've had to peanut holders up for 2 weeks, but the birds dont seem interested at all. I've put one on a willow playhouse and the other on a bird table, but they just arent bothered, they would rather have the bread on the ground.

I used to put peanuts out in hangers but they ignored them and they were always mouldy when I threw them away. Strange thing is, my daughter only uses peanuts and gets lot of nice birds.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got some tubs of dried mealworms from Home and Bargain the other day and they were very cheap and my robin loves them. I order floor scatter seed from Noahs Ark garden centre http://www.noahsarkgardens.co.uk/ as they sell one that has been rolled so it won't germinate and it contains insects so the blackbirds love it.
    I have recently started putting out a niger seed feeder and we get at least 30 goldfinches and greenfinches all visiting together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport