PCR tests to be scrapped for fully vaccinated travellers returning to England in October

Fully vaccinated travellers will no longer need to take a pre-departure Covid-19 test before they depart for England from 4 October. In addition, they'll only need to take a cheaper lateral flow test on arrival to England from later next month under an overhaul to the 'traffic light' travel system. Eight destinations will also come off the red list from 22 September. 

Read the full story here:
'PCR tests to be scrapped for fully vaccinated travellers returning to England in October'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• ButtsButts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news for once .....no test before departure home 

Now we just need to get rid of the lateral flow test on return to bring us into line with the rest of Europe.
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent news about the pre-departure tests. Removes the risk of having to quarantine at your destination. Don't think my boss would have been too happy had my return to work been delayed 10 days

Just wish they had given an exact date in October when the requirement for a PCR reduces to  LTF.

Already have one holiday booked for next month but now looking for other options for weekends away before Christmas.
  • poppycat99poppycat99 Forumite
    12 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    will under 18s who have not had any vacination have to self isolate for 10 days from 4th october if travelling back from the new rest of the world countries such as spain ? as i read on this mainsite
    Children over the age of 10 will no longer be required to take a pre-departure home test if their parents are fully vaccinated, but all children over the age of four must continue to take the day 2 PCR test (like their parents) until it is formally announced when these tests can be instead done via the lateral flow method.

so a little confused

• TonyM19TonyM19 Forumite
    118 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Be interesting to watch the cost of lateral flow tests gradually increase to be exactly the same as current PCR tests by the start of November
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    796 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    will under 18s who have not had any vacination have to self isolate for 10 days from 4th october if travelling back from the new rest of the world countries such as spain ? as i read on this mainsite
    Children over the age of 10 will no longer be required to take a pre-departure home test if their parents are fully vaccinated, but all children over the age of four must continue to take the day 2 PCR test (like their parents) until it is formally announced when these tests can be instead done via the lateral flow method.

so a little confused

The Government website hasn’t updated the Rules for children and young people travelling after 4th Oct yet - but under the current rules 

Children resident in the UK - Children of all ages do not have to quarantine when returning from Spain ( Amber country) 

If they are aged 4 and under they do not have to take any COVID-19 travel tests.

11 to 17 year olds must take a:

5 to 10 year olds:

• do not have to take a pre-departure test
    • must take a day 2 test on or before day 2 – arrival day is day 0
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TonyM19 said:
    Be interesting to watch the cost of lateral flow tests gradually increase to be exactly the same as current PCR tests by the start of November
    Really?

Last year the cheapest PCR test was £150 and now its circa £50... seems the opposite of a gradual increase to me.

The only thing that has happened is that some exceptionally hard to get discounted rates that were advertised have been replaced with the standard rates after it was suggested that advertising your price for a clinic run once a month in a small village in cumbria and your other prices being 3 times that or more was disingenuous and potentially false advertising and so some of those prices have disappeared
  • bigferbigfer Forumite
    221 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Any news on what is happening if you fly into Scotland?
    I assume Jimmy Krankie will be making it as difficult as she possibly can.
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigfer said:

yes - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58681116
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigfer said:
    I assume Jimmy Krankie will be making it as difficult as she possibly can.
    keep up with hews. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58681116
  • ButtsButts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Butts said:
    Excellent news for once .....no test before departure home 

Now we just need to get rid of the lateral flow test on return to bring us into line with the rest of Europe.
    Result for those of us North of the Border  :D