Time to clear the remnants of my old life

Replies

• CCW007CCW007 Forumite
    577 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi @leftatthetrafficlights thought I'd come find your diary!  I'm with you on the food hoarding and Amazon splurging.  I follow lots of glitch groups on FB and end up buying lots of random stuff as a result - I really should unsubscribe from the groups!

I also feel your pain on the boiler / oil tank.  Our boiler failed last year (40 years old and we knew it was on its last legs when we moved in 7 years ago) and we knew it needed a new oil line.  No company would install that where the tank was sited and it was an old metal tank so we had a new tank, oil line and boiler installed in one hit!  Expensive but good to know we should be fine for a long time now.

Sounds like you are doing well with the debt free fund. 

Fabulous February sounds great - self-care is one of my intentions this year as well.

• leftatthetrafficlightsleftatthetrafficlights Forumite
    462 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @CCW007 - ouch on your boiler replacement!! 😲 
    We put our boiler in over 20 years ago and have only had one service done (didn't have the money to do services most years and by the time we did the boiler wouldn't have benefitted!! 🙈😂) so I'm pretty impressed that it's soldiered on this long really!! We've been saying that it needs replacing for about the last 5 years I think!! Thankfully once it's done we're unlikely to need another one in our lifetimes (especially as we will get this once serviced regularly 😉) so it should be a one off investment and worth it for the peace of mind (plus it will be a lot more energy efficient!!) 

I'm pretty tired today - stopping eating and drinking c*ap has given me a headache (caffeine and sugar withdrawal) and I just want to sleep! 😂 I've decided that I'm going to have a quiet day today as a result - I've got some work stuff to do then I'm going to just take some time out to just 'be' before I cook dinner and pick up the grandbaby from school.

I've defrosted some black beans from the freezer so food tonight is going to be a rosemary veg stew with black beans- (rosemary, cabbage, leeks and carrots in 'chicken' stock) and I'll make a blackbean and jackfruit chilli for tomorrow along with a cucumber and mint salsa - I've got salad leaves, roasted peppers, short grain brown rice and hommous for lunch 😊 I'm drinking plenty of water and green tea so hopefully the headache will go! 😉
    Debt neutral fund -
    Starting balance September 2022: 
    Sept 22: £ ; Oct 22: £ ; Nov 22 £ ; Dec 22: £ 

GC: Jul: £39.52/£300

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hope you are feeling better.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    462 Posts
    Forumite
    I've been awol recently due to lots going on in rl 🙈! I'm going on a detox today to try to reclaim my mojo - I'm tired of feeling poo! 
    The past month was VERY expensive- grandbaby birthday, family visit and purchases for the garden so only managed £200 into the debt neutral fund 😔 however, it's better than nothing so I'm not too disappointed 😉 
    Debt neutral fund -

19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    £200 into the pot when you are struggling sounds a pretty good win to me. Hope things improve for you soon.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Definitely better than nothing - that's brilliant work when things are tight. Pat on the back needed! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2022 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £75.65/£330 (Membership taken 24/1/22)
    🏋🏻‍♀️ 2022 Gym cost per use: at 13/6/22 £11.37 per visit! (29) 🏋🏻‍♀️

🇺🇦
    462 Posts
    Forumite
    Not been on for a while - so busy in rl it's not funny! 🙈 

I'll update figures tomorrow when I get the chance but not a lot has been happening on the MSE front (or any other front for that matter!!) 

I'm away next week which will be expensive bit once I'm back I'm getting back on the wagon and regaining my focus 😉
    Debt neutral fund -

• EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Good that it's still in your mind even though things have got hectic - sometimes life has to overtake debt-busting but having it still "there" in your head usually minimises the damage from such periods!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2022 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £75.65/£330 (Membership taken 24/1/22)
    🏋🏻‍♀️ 2022 Gym cost per use: at 13/6/22 £11.37 per visit! (29) 🏋🏻‍♀️

🇺🇦
    462 Posts
    Forumite
    April was another expensive month! 🙈 I had to replace my phone, we bought a lot of garden stuff, went away for a few days etc....

This month I'm on the frugal bandwagon - I have pretty much got everything we need or are likely to need for the house and garden now (other than the new boiler but we have a separate budget for that and we've already paid for the new oil tank) for the rest of the year so I'm very hopeful that I can keep control of the finances now! 

I'm back on the healthy bandwagon too - I have had enough of eating rubbish, I need to lose weight and I'm tired of feeling sluggish and tired constantly. I'm going to start yoga again too as my knee has started to improve 🙌

I'm doing much better on the alcohol front now - I've gone from half a litre of brandy and two litres of full fat cola every day to half a bottle of white wine and diet lemonade daily with the plan on cutting it out altogether from Thursday for a month.  

I'm starting my body care routine tomorrow  - I need to take more care of my outside as well as my insides - hopefully by the end of May I'll be feeling and looking a lot better and my control on my finances will be a lot tighter! 😉
    Debt neutral fund -

19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Wow that's a huge change on the alcohol front. Friends who did similar found they slept better too once AF. They felt so much better they kept it up