We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to keep neighbours cats out of house/ garden?!

Options
Bought a house a few months ago and next door (attached to us) have 2 cats.

I don’t mind cats and I know it’s very hard to keep them out of the garden…they do leave mess out there most days which is very annoying as the children go out a lot.

The bigger problem is that they come into the house. We have bifold doors which they use to come in and we’d find them upstairs asleep on the beds. We stopped leaving these doors open and they now jump into any open window (upstairs or down and use the extension as a ladder). 

It’s really starting to grate on me. They wee in the house, sleep in our beds, eat our food (they started eating a cooked chicken I had pulled from the oven to cook on Sunday). They’ve broken quite a few valuables that have been on the windowsills as they jumped in/out. 

I don’t have animals myself and really don’t want them in my house. 

The neighbour thinks it’s hilarious and is no help at all. 

Any suggestions on how to keep them out?! I know I could shut the windows but It’s so warm that they do need to be open and we paid quite a lot for bifold doors which we are now too scared to open. 

Thank you 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've heard that "zoo poo" works as a deterrent.  It's produced by lions and supposedly an average mog will not go near it.  Some in the garden helping your roses etc might do the trick.  Otherwise thorny plants can help although my cats never seemed to mind them.  But a few planted strategically under windows etc might limit their access.

Yeah - my first cat was a regular visitor to a number of houses and I was forever getting complaints.  But I've also had a neighbour's mog have my sunday dinner too....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 September 2021 at 7:52PM
    Options
    You have my complete sympathy.  Your neighbour thinking it's hilarious just shows what a complete cretin they are.

If it was me, I'd use the hose on them every time.  It won't hurt them but they will get the message quickly.  This 'right to roam' stuff gets old fast.  Attitudes would be different if it was your neighbour having to put up with this.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My mum's neighbour's cat used to climb up the clematis growing up the wall to get in the bedroom window.

This came up on Google - not a recommendation. 
     https://cat-repellent.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhOyJBhA4EiwAEcJdce9aMOv314KQBixRc088F8jpwao-gPo_NywBrW9l9J16bHr6aZ2AFRoCOKUQAvD_BwE
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Dont be nice to them! If you find them in the house clap your hands sharply and make a loud hissing sound as you chase them out. Use a rolled up newspaper to scare them, not to actually hit them obviously! Dont let your children encourage them by petting or stroking them, or playing with them when they are in your house or garden, teach them to just ignore them

Outdoors, keep a water pistol, a sprayer, or even a jug full of water handy, and give them a bit of a soaking. It may take some time, but they will get the message eventually.

It does sound as if they had the run of the house when the previous people lived there. I'm surprised about the weeing though - are they spraying (marking behaviour) rather than actually weeing? Are they neutered?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’d suggest getting a dog, but next doors cat was upstairs in my house on and off for three days without my dozy bull terrier noticing. 
    I’ve now settled for chucking water at them at every possible opportunity- after completely soaking it with a hose pipe it’s not come near the back door since. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Sazzy1253
    Options
    Thanks everyone, we’ve ordered the stop car repellent box. Will let you know how it goes when it arrives 🤞🏻
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to stop being so nice to them.  Chase them out making a lot of noise, use water pistols, you have to scare them.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We were told when we got our first kitten that a spray bottle would help train it to stay off the kitchen counters.  It didn't work.  Silly mog ended up liking to sleep in the bathroom sink and wouldn't budge even when the water was turned on - just lay there blocking the drain.

Balloons on the other hand might be useful for when you are out.  Inflate and pin one at cat ear level in the open bedroom door way.  Some cats are freaked out by the random movements and potentially they will raise a clawed paw to swipe at it.  POP!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love cats but agree with the above.
    Maybe also try a new smell (air freshner) to make the house smell strange and try and have it also around the door.
    You might need to leave the windows on vent rather than open to deter them.
    We had issues with our middle 2 invading our neighbour's flat where we used to live but they knew them and wanted to make friends with their cat.
    Agree it isn't funny when they get in and destroy things. Maybe a little less friendly to them for a bit to reassert your boundaries?
    It may also be that they were allowed free reign with the old owners and assumed nothing has changed.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien said:
    I’d suggest getting a dog, but next doors cat was upstairs in my house on and off for three days without my dozy bull terrier noticing. 
    Oh Gitdog, honestly, what are you like? You know what it is elsien, it's all that good citizen stuff you did with him! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport