Easyjet new cabin bag policy

Options
Just realised Easyjet new cabin bag policy means our reasonably small carry ons are 3 cm longer. This is what EJ say: ¨All customers can bring on board one small cabin bag (max. 45 x 36 x 20 cm), which must fit under the seat in front of them.¨
We did pay for seats but not ¨extra leg room¨ which would have allowed us to put a bag overhead.
Now we either have to pay extra for both legs of the trip or buy new bags.
Has anybody managed to go onboard with a slightly longer bag? I reckon they could fit under the seat if placed vertically instead of across but would not like to risk it.
I am aware this is a bit of a lottery since we have always taken the right sized luggage but seen other people who do not and get onboard without any issues, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Since it is a new policy what happened before won't really apply. 

Would it be possible to upgrade to extra leg room seats?  If you are intend to travel with Easyjet in future you will have to or buy new bags.

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In previous easyjet flights at boarding they can have a cage to check your baggage size.  If your bag is too big you pay the extra and it goes in the hold.  I’d pay for the extra leg seats, it probably works out the cheapest option 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I wouldn't chance it unless you are travelling very soon after a change in policy where it could be argued that you weren't informed of a change which happened after you bought the tickets.  Airlines seem to be reducing hand luggage allowances on a regular basis.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whether they check or not is luck of the draw. I was on a Flybe return trip; they didn’t check in the way out but they did on the way back and there were a fair few people having to pay the inflated on the day hold charges. 
    New bags is probably cheaper than if you do get caught. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Gets annoying .. I have dumped so many suitcases that were bought to fulfil carry on size requirements, only for them to change the rules.  I now have 2 more for the bin.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't risk it. Before they went bust, we travelled frequently with Flybe from our local airport and they had a policy of cabin baggage much smaller than anyone else. They made everyone use those cage measure things and charged (a lot) extra to put the bags in the hold.

I suppose you need to balance the cost of new bags against paying for hold luggage. You could pay for just one suitcase in the hold and take small hand luggage (shopping bag/backpack) on board for things needed on the journey. 🤔
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That is what we usually do, buy a hold suitcase for the family and take our carry ons on board. But the new regulations means we do not have anything to take onboard, except one handbag and a very small and flimsy rucksack.... just for a few cm we cannot use the bags we have, which are really small, so I will have to upgrade or buy new ones. ANNOYING!!!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nikiya said:
    That is what we usually do, buy a hold suitcase for the family and take our carry ons on board. But the new regulations means we do not have anything to take onboard, except one handbag and a very small and flimsy rucksack.... just for a few cm we cannot use the bags we have, which are really small, so I will have to upgrade or buy new ones. ANNOYING!!!

I've been looking at 'Hands Free' from EJ - for not much (£7?) you can put the older sized bag in the hold.

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my experience a soft bag with slightly excess dimensions for under-seat that's not stuffed solid will not be rejected for carry-on at the gate. But it sounds like your cases are hard shell.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eDicky said:
    In my experience a soft bag with slightly excess dimensions for under-seat that's not stuffed solid will not be rejected for carry-on at the gate. But it sounds like your cases are hard shell.
    I would agree.

Wheeled trolley cases normally seem to be the target, together with those passengers with more than one bag.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback