getting Topcashback for car insurance query ?

gl
gl Posts: 10 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
So current car insurance with LV much cheaper than anyone else and has Topcashback .    Looking at renewal and LV still the cheapest ... BUT  ... like most topcashback offers it says " Cashback not available for renewals"     .    However !! .. what if you let current policy lapse on last day ... and wait a couple of days ... and then purchase . ... aren't you then a "new customer"  , and not a renewal ?      ( I do this every year with Green Flag and always get paid  !  )
Val :)

Comments

• Flight3287462
    Flight3287462 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If they are switched on you won't get it.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there another provider at a similar price (within a few quid) who you could go with for this year, switching back to LV next year and continue to switch between them.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • gl
    If they are switched on you won't get it.
    True , but it's whether they are switched on !! 
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It'll be down to whether the insurer treats you as a new customer or not.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've done what you are proposing once but that was some years ago. Now I'd probably look for a similar price with a company I'm happy with and change insurer or contact LV to try and get a small reduction in the price. 
  • NSG666
    NSG666 Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to keep opening a new policy with Aviva and getting top cashback but they got wise to this and changed their t&cs so that you weren't eligible within so any weeks or months of holding a previous policy so you might want to check the full t&cs on LV. Also does it say new customers or new policy - if the latter then just open a new policy to follow on and you should get the cashback.
    Sorry I can't think of anything profound, clever or witty to write here.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    gl said:
    what if you let current policy lapse on last day ... and wait a couple of days ... and then purchase
    So you are going to SORN your vehicle for those few days? Would have thought the lost car tax would seriously eat into any cashback received. The continuous insurance requirements changes a few years ago made it illegal to have a vehicle that is uninsured and not SORNed. 

As to how LV will treat you will depend on how sophisticated their systems are... better ones will identify you as a returning customer and so refuse the cashback but many insurers arent on sophisticated systems and so even back to back policies won't result in the cashback being denied so the wording is really to deter customers rather than something enforced
  • gl
    neilmcl said:
    It'll be down to whether the insurer treats you as a new customer or not.
    that's my question

• gl
    NSG666 said:
    I used to keep opening a new policy with Aviva and getting top cashback but they got wise to this and changed their t&cs so that you weren't eligible within so any weeks or months of holding a previous policy so you might want to check the full t&cs on LV. Also does it say new customers or new policy - if the latter then just open a new policy to follow on and you should get the cashback.
    It says   " new policys only , not eligble for renewals " .     Hence my question... if you leave it a day or two after policy expires , then isn't it a "new policy" ... not " a renewal"   ??
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    gl said:
    NSG666 said:
    It says   " new policys only , not eligble for renewals " .     Hence my question... if you leave it a day or two after policy expires , then isn't it a "new policy" ... not " a renewal"   ??
    Most likely but SORNing the car for those days is likely to take a fair chunk of any cashback 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback