AirBnB insisting we spend credit this year

Options
Hi everyone
We had booked and paid a week away in Ireland with friends (approx £650) for July 2020.  Due to Covid-19 that holiday wasn't able to happen.  AirBnB didn't give us the money back but credited the account and said that we needed to place a booking by December 2021 for something else to not lose the money but that the actual holiday could be later than December 2021.  We attempted to place that booking this month for a holiday in July 2022 but they are now saying the holiday needs to take place prior to be end of 2021.  My friend has been dealing with AirBnB through the app and has screen shots of the previous conversation (re: booking before december 2021) and in recent conversation AirBnb are agreeing that they are changing what they previously advised but are now refusing to correspond any further and maintain we need to book a holiday that takes place in 2021 (not easy given school holidays and personal situations). 
First time poster, i hope someone can help.
Any advice?

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the time of the original "refund", was there any discussion about what was to happen? i.e. Did you say you were accepting the credit in lieu of a cash refund?

I'm not sure what Irish rules were at the time, but I presume this wasn't a situation where they could have lawfully given you the accommodation (whether or not you were able to travel), and so you would have been entitled to a refund? 
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some AirbnB customer services are outsourced to the Philippines who may not be as au faux as the US or UK departments with regards to this type of problem. I should persist and escalate it to a higher person.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback