HSBC Credit card negotiate 3% FX fee

Options
DenABac
DenABac Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 24 August 2021 at 12:18PM in Credit cards
Hi there

is there someone out there who has attempted to get rid of the 3% FX fee on any of their credit card products?

I am looking to reduce the cards I carry but would hate to pay 10-30£ on FX fees a month and I’d rather not leave HSBC. 

Grateful for anyone who could share their actual experience. 
Really not interested in not validated opinions. 

Best
d

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll not be able to "negotiate" the fees.  The card company sets the fees, you're free to take it or leave it.  A number of cards don't charge FX fees - Halifax Clarity is one of the old favourites, but several listed here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/
    No need to "leave" HSBC, just get another card in addition that suits your needs.  If you're travelling abroad, it's a good idea to have more than one card anyway.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'll let you know once validated, I'm meeting with my Notary Public early in September. 
  • Shanwick
    Shanwick Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC UK even has the 2.99% FTF on their Premier Mastercard Elite card while the HSBC USA equivalent card has no FTF which somewhat reflects the FTF landscape in the UK. I have never heard of HSBC UK varying their FTF per customer.

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simply get another credit card for non-Sterling usage and keep the HSBC one as a backup for emergencies.

Even in the UK I use a cashback card as my main credit card but keep the HSBC one alive by putting my Netflix sub onto it. Useful to keep the HSBC one as it has the biggest limit of any of my cards so you never know when it might be needed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback