Virgin Media card payment (Top up)

Just wondering, currently paying via monthly Direct Debit and just noticed that you can make an online payment into your account via a debit or credit card.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-make-a-payment

It states that it won't cancel the current pending direct debit from your last bill, but if I make the monthly payment online, before the next bill is generated then logically the amount owed for that bill will be zero. So no direct debit due. If that makes sense as I've never tried it, maybe worth a try to earn a bit of cashback on my credit card.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 August 2021 at 7:54AM
    Of course if you have the right bank account you can (maybe) get more on the direct debit amount ongoing, but these sort of things just ultimately end up going into a kitty from which future bills are deducted so you're effectively ending up in credit for a while and the system will probably skip a debit or two in the near future.

No different a principle to paying your credit card off.  Whether its worth it for what will be pennies of cashback through your card (which you won't actually see, it's more likely just to come off the balance somewhere down the line) is up for debate.  The direct debit cashback through a bank where available actually lands in your account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback