We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
State Pension top up advice
Comments
-
Yes, you can top up any available years back to 2006-07. Have you got a pension forecast ? If so what exactly does it show ? If not https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension (Based on the assumption you have lived in the UK for those years)
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
1 -
Thank you. Prior to working for the last 5 years, I lived abroad caring for an elderly relative. However, I can't see why it should make any difference if I didn't work here or abroad. I am and always have been a British passport holder.0
-
However, I can't see why it should make any difference if I didn't work here or abroad. I am and always have been a British passport holder.
This is not relevant to your NI Contributions record.
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/pensions/state-pension/new-state-pension/
1 -
Have you checked whether you are entitled to any benefits from the country where you were previously living? Or if you can count any years you spent caring for your relative there towards your UK state pension?There are some details at https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/living-and-working-overseasAlso according to https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions you should be able to make voluntary payments under the 'Living abroad but not working' rules. According to https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines I think you can make payments back to April 2006.
1 -
Thanks everyone. Not working abroad is me and I have paid 5 years of NI here in the last 5 years so I should be able to top up with Class 3. Next step is to try to activate that.
0 -
Have you got a pension forecast because if you have contributions from the past 5 years working you could well have a total of 8 including the age 16,17 & 18 freebies. A pension forecast is the most important thing to get before starting out on the topping up process.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
