What happens if Day 2 Test fails to arrive

I am looking to book Day 2 PCR tests for my family to be used following our return from France.  These differ very widely in price, with some companies more highly recommended than others.  If I go for the cheaper end of the market, and the test fails for some reason to turn up on time, what are the  possible consequences?  Given that we are not required to quarantine on return from France, will there be checks/controls to see exactly when the tests were carried out?

Any advice gratefully welcomed, as it seems pointless to pay 50 quid more for a test no one will check. Am I right in thinking that the important thing to prove, in the case of travel from France, is that you have booked and paid for the test, not that you have carried it out on the allotted day?

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    86.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the price you pay. There's always the possibility that something will go awry. 
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • Bunyip_2Bunyip_2 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am in the same position - will be looking for the cheapest test to generate a booking reference number.  From what I have discovered this appears to be the only thing checked, especially as many tests are self swab at home.  The whole thing feels like a government endorsed scam.
  • Ben1989Ben1989 Forumite
    255 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If you are not affected in any why by receiving a negative test (eg. test to release will affect when you can leave quarantine) then I, personally, would go for the absolute cheapest.

You've bought a test from the government approved list, you've filled in your PLF so you've fully followed the guidelines. If it doesn't turn up, that's not in your control. 

When I quarantined from coming from an amber country (before you could break it if fully vaccinated) test and trace called me every day and they told me call them (119) on Day 2 if it didn't arrive and they'll send a free one.
  • ecclestoecclesto Forumite
    272 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am in the same position and very interested as I have been on the government website. Can I ask what is a PLF? Do you get this when you order the Day 2 test? I assume that the Self Swab at home means you get a pack sent out to you and the Self swab on site means you have to find one of these sites near your location. I was going to take a photo of my chosen provider with the Gov.uk website page in view in case of trouble. I am travelling to Canada so I have booked my pre flight PCR test and take it that I only need the Day 2 test as I am fully vaccinated and do not need anymore tests in Canada before catching my homebound flight.
  • superbigalsuperbigal Forumite
    440 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    ecclesto said:
    I am in the same position and very interested as I have been on the government website. Can I ask what is a PLF? Do you get this when you order the Day 2 test? I assume that the Self Swab at home means you get a pack sent out to you and the Self swab on site means you have to find one of these sites near your location. I was going to take a photo of my chosen provider with the Gov.uk website page in view in case of trouble. I am travelling to Canada so I have booked my pre flight PCR test and take it that I only need the Day 2 test as I am fully vaccinated and do not need anymore tests in Canada before catching my homebound flight.
    Passenger Locator Form.  Not related to the testing.  Will be detailed when you look at your flight booking.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecclesto said:
    If you are coming home before 4 October you need an antigen test before you travel home.

When you buy your day 2 tests you get a code that you include on your plf, so the gov knows you have bought one.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • edited 22 September 2021 at 9:18PM
    VKEVKE Forumite
    9 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2021 at 9:18PM
    We have used Randox £48.00 each using code Ttavel21 which takes the cost down to £43.00; we've used them twice and they arrived before we left the UK. Once the tests were done I dropped them at a hotel in Bristol and both times the results were emailed back to us.

I did see some posts on TripAdvisor where people have said they haven't received their test results and quite a few people posted back saying to call 119 and explain and they will send out tests to be completed (this is what I've seen on TA and not what I've experienced)
    Safe and Happy Travels 
    VKE