Covid insurance claim rejected

Options
I bought the Premier Post Office travel insurance for myself and my family. I cant post a link but it is on the Post Office website. 

We booked flights and accommodation and were meant to depart in the very early hours last Saturday.

The night before we due to fly out, my daughter developed a fever and other Covid symptoms, I had a new cough but no fever or anything else, I am double vaccinated.

As a result, we had to isolate following medical advice - being unable to travel to the airport. We booked the earliest PCR test for us both on Saturday morning.

We informed the airline and the accommodation as soon as possible.

I have now put a claim in and been rejected by Collinson Insurance in the attached picture. 

I'm not too sure what they mean I'm not covered for Covid-19, the policy clearly states it is; I have responded to their email for some clarity and rationale. 

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm £2000 out of pocket and spending £80 for travel insurance seems completely pointless. 

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 August 2021 at 1:52PM
    Options
    When was the holiday booked? Where is it to?
    When was the insurance bought? Is it single trip, annual etc? What are the two letters at the start of the policy number (identifies which policy book applies)
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,399 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2021 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Reading the outline of their Covid19 cover;

Which one of those conditions do you/family member fit into?
  • iambinksy
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    When was the holiday booked? Where is it to?
    When was the insurance bought? Is it single trip, annual etc? What are the two letters at the start of the policy number (identifies which policy book applies)
    Thanks, I am within the single trip coverage period, insurance was purchased several weeks ago which was also when the holiday was booked - destination was Majorca.

Policy begins with TC.

• kayleighali
    Options
    Did either you or your daughter test positive? That seems to be the crux of it going by the conditions @kaMelo posted.

If not, it doesn't appear you are covered, unless it is in the fine print?
  • Sandtree
    edited 16 August 2021 at 2:24PM
    Options
    The policy wording https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/travel-insurance-terms-and-conditons-collinson.pdf

The policy only covers for actual infections not precautionary isolation. Presumably your Saturday test results were all clear?

You would assume this is to prevent people that really want to cancel for some other reason just claiming to have had symptoms and therefore getting a payout for change of mind rather than sickness etc.
  • iambinksy
    Options
    kaMelo said:

Hi kaMelo,

The last bullet point has more information on the very confusing policy documentation:

"If You cancel the Trip due to unforeseen illness or injury You must provide a medical certificate from the treating Medical Practitioner stating that this prevented You from travelling.
    If Your claim relates to cancellation or curtailment of Your trip due to illness, arising from Coronavirus (Covid-19), we will require written evidence that you received a positive test result within 14 days of Your departure date. Written proof of a positive test is also required if Your claim relates to (Covid-19) of a Close Relative or any person with whom You have arranged to travel or stay with during the Trip."

My daughter and I eventually got our negative test results 28 hours or so after we were due to depart.
  • kaMelo
    Options
    iambinksy said:
    kaMelo said:

Hi kaMelo,

The last bullet point has more information on the very confusing policy documentation:

"If You cancel the Trip due to unforeseen illness or injury You must provide a medical certificate from the treating Medical Practitioner stating that this prevented You from travelling.
    If Your claim relates to cancellation or curtailment of Your trip due to illness, arising from Coronavirus (Covid-19), we will require written evidence that you received a positive test result within 14 days of Your departure date. Written proof of a positive test is also required if Your claim relates to (Covid-19) of a Close Relative or any person with whom You have arranged to travel or stay with during the Trip."

My daughter and I eventually got our negative test results 28 hours or so after we were due to depart.
    According to the terms as you tested negative then cover is provided as long as:

Missed departure or other delays while waiting for late test results (Standard and Premier levels of cover only, you must arrive at your departure point within the time stated, and the testing is to take place at your departure point).

If you didn't arrive at your departure point on time and have the tests done there then unfortunately it would appear as you're not covered.
  • Sandtree
    Options
    kaMelo said:
    iambinksy said:
    kaMelo said:

Hi kaMelo,

According to the terms as you tested negative then cover is provided as long as:

Missed departure or other delays while waiting for late test results (Standard and Premier levels of cover only, you must arrive at your departure point within the time stated, and the testing is to take place at your departure point).

If you didn't arrive at your departure point on time and have the tests done there then unfortunately it would appear as you're not covered.
    This coverage, which I dont think the OP has anyway with their particular policy, sounds more to me like a coverage for people needing a test to go to their destination country and it not coming through on time rather than people with symptoms... anyone claiming to have symptoms shouldn't be going to the departure point but isolating. 
  • kaMelo
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    kaMelo said:
    iambinksy said:
    kaMelo said:

Hi kaMelo,

This coverage, which I dont think the OP has anyway with their particular policy, sounds more to me like a coverage for people needing a test to go to their destination country and it not coming through on time rather than people with symptoms... anyone claiming to have symptoms shouldn't be going to the departure point but isolating. 
    Whilst I don't disagree with what you've said, the terms make no reference to symptoms whatsoever. They do specify when cover applies however and for the cover to apply when you have a negative result:

you must arrive at your departure point within the time stated, and the testing is to take place at your departure point

I don't understand how that can possibly work either however these are the terms agreed to when the policy was taken out.
  • iambinksy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I do have Premier cover.

This is the very confusing issue, I was unable to arrive at my departure point due to isolating. I read this as though I was unable to travel to my departure point in the UK, due to this being either illegal or against medical advice. 

I certainly can't use public transport (the flight) whilst awaiting test results. 

I also think the negative test not being covered is contrary to the spirit of Covid insurance, maybe they expect my to lie and not declare any symptoms on departure.

There is no testing at the departure point when returning from Spain (or AFAIK any country) - most countries require a negative PCR test prior to arriving at the airport.

In any case, do I have any claim to say the wording is unclear and may appear misleading?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback