🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

SCAM WARNING: beware of being a Mozilla Firefox prize-winning searcher

Options
See attached screenshot.

Using my Firefox browser, I ran a routine Google search last night for something or other but before the results appeared, an unexpected screen suddenly showed up congratulating me on being a Firefox 5-billion searcher.

Obviously a scam; the invitation to click on any of the prize boxes is also -- obviously -- an invitation to click on a link that will bring malware / ransomware.

Comments

• Silver_Shark
    Options
    Does seem too good to be true. I'm a Firefox user, thanks for the warning.
  • p3ncilsharpener
    Options
    I bet the one who won a PS3 is a bit miffed.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brad Jenkins my bony !!!!!!

• p3ncilsharpener
    Options
    robatwork said:
    Brad Jenkins my bony !!!!!!

Funny how Brad was the last winner 2 years ago but the "Recent winners" at the bottom all won over the last 4 months.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'll have to ask Andre and Therese what they bought with their Google play cards.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,049 Forumite
    Options
    I would be more concerned about the security levels you have set on your system.  How did you even manage to get something like that popping up in the first place ?
  • p3ncilsharpener
    Options
    molerat said:
    I would be more concerned about the security levels you have set on your system.  How did you even manage to get something like that popping up in the first place ?
    It's an ad.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,049 Forumite
    Options
    molerat said:
    It's an ad.
    and ?...............

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    molerat said:
    It's an ad.
    Thank you Captain Obvious, but such ads shouldn’t appear when running a Google search unless some kind of adware etc has infected the PC. 

Google don’t run ads like this. 
  • ItsComingRome
    Options
    molerat said:
    It's an ad.
    Thank you Captain Obvious, but such ads shouldn’t appear when running a Google search unless some kind of adware etc has infected the PC. 

Google don’t run ads like this. 
    Then OP was mistaken and wasn't running a routine search, they must have clicked a link.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure